2014 Explorer | Pennzoil UP 5W-20 | 6,400 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The is one of the free UOAs from Team Pennzoil for my 2014 Explorer (I will use the second on the current fill). The iOLM was at 15% when I changed it. I am a little surprised to see the fuel dilution albeit minor as I have not had that before and the driving style remained the same. Seeing the flashpoint below normal for the last two OCs raises an eyebrow as well--I will have to monitor it. The previous fills were Kendall GT-1 F/S 0W-20 (last two) and 1 MS5K 5W-20 and the FF.

The filter used was a FRAM Ultra XG10575 and a new one was installed along with M1 AFE 0W-20. Comments and thoughts welcome--enjoy!

3pQeKI.jpg

The reported fuel dilution is minor and I wouldn't worry about It, especially given Blackstone's methodology. As I understand it, Blackstone determines flashpoint based on human observation of a sample that is heated. From this, a fuel % is inferred. So there are at least two spots for error (3 if one also considers samples aren't always homogeneous and only a part of the sample is used to test flashpoint).

Even if this is done correctly, your last two Kendall samples are inconsistent on this point: a flashpoint of 385 with a trace of dilution vs 440 with < .5%? Looking through UOAs here, these apparent inconsistencies are common.

I'd say you may have no fuel dilution at all as your sample's viscosity is about as new. But, Blackstone's method for determining viscosity, again as I understand it, is based on human observation of oil flowing though a viscometer, so also subject to error. I asked for a retest on my last sample and the viscosity increased by about 10%, whIch is pretty huge in this context.

One can't expect the world for the price of a UOA and I don't mean to bash Blackstone, but these things have their limitations.

Originally Posted By: Danh
One can't expect the world for the price of a UOA and I don't mean to bash Blackstone, but these things have their limitations.
I agree it is minor, but the trend (or inconsistencies in the trend) raised an eyebrow. I no longer use Blackstone for thexample reasons you mention, but this was a free UOA. However, I was surprised the iOLM was down to 15% at 6400 miles though as compared to the Kendall.

Early IOLM trigger would suggest more cold starts and more idling. Both of those might cause more fuel dilution as well. Wear #'s look good obviously.

I know that your uoa's aren't showing a life threatening amount of fuel but as someone who likes everything to be right with my equipment I wouldn't discount their fuel percentages.

When I was having injector cup issues with one of my trucks, Blackstone was reporting the same amount of fuel as ALS and a Caterpillar lab. Despite the criticism of Blackstone's method, I believe that their results are reasonable.

I'm not sure why you're getting a little fuel in your oil at an early age but if you're still under warranty, maybe get it looked at by the dealer. Then again, they may say that isn't anything to worry about.

Oh yeah, definitely bring your Blackstone report to the dealer and point out the .8% fuel dilution # to them and have them investigate. Be sure to bring your camera so you can snap a picture of the service advisors face after you tell him this. That picture will be a classic.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Blackstone was reporting the same amount of fuel as ALS and a Caterpillar lab.

Pure luck.

I'm not a shill for Blackstone but see no reason to be derogatory towards them either. I do a lot of uoa's and switched to a much lower cost lab myself but Blackstone gave me consistent, reliable results in a timely manner for two years. The fuel content matched ALS and Cat for two years (six or seven samples at each lab) it wasn't a one time fluke. I'm not saying that their fuel percentage readings are 100% accurate (nor do they) but just don't discount them all together.

@ bigt61...sorry for my silly comments but I like my vehicles operating optimally and see no reason to let a nice new vehicle to run even a little bit off. Why not plug it in at the dealer and see if there's something that needs replacing. I'd pay for a plug in to see what's going on just to make sure that all is well. Since it's not direct injected, there shouldn't be a bit of fuel in that oil unless it's collected after a cold idle. Sorry for being picky and I apologize to 2015_PSD for running my mouth so much. I'm just expressing my views.

TBT, I have little faith in Blackstone's fuel testing results, but I agree that with an MPI engine there should not be any fuel in the oil. I am nearly positive I pulled the sample cold and since it has appeared in the last two samples, I will take it in to be checked. I have an extended warranty so I may as well use it.

Dusty, no harm, no foul--carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back