Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had some guests over tonight and I did a couple chickens on the rotisserie. The chickens went into a brine for 24 hours that included sliced lemon, lemon zest, and fresh rosemary. Then an orange was cut with slots and put inside the cavity (I used cara cara oranges) and a lemon was cut with slots and put between the two chickens on the rod.

I like oranges or apples because of the fruit flavor they add to the chicken, but if you prefer, a potato doesn't add any flavors. Something has to go into the cavity to prevent the chicken from flopping around on the rod.

The chicken gets brushed every 20 minutes or so with olive oil, rosemary, thyme and pepper.

Starting to get a little color. I keep the temperature of the grill between 350 and 400. If it starts to creep up I open the lid for a bit.

Pretty much done. The lemon helps keep it moist and adds a nice citrus note to the chicken. The oranges also add a nice, but more subtle citrus note.

We also had salad fresh from the garden, and for desert we had strawberries fresh from the garden. A great meal for 4 people for less than $20.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
All that work for some nasty ol yard bird?? No thanks. I'll stick to my prime rib

Aw...you rained on Pop's parade, just like he does to everybody else.

Looks very good. Brine is the way to do it.

My mom and I brine the turkey for Thanksgiving too. The white meat as leftovers is still "cut with fork" tender.

All that work for some nasty ol yard bird?? No thanks. I'll stick to my prime rib

Except red meat is not very good for you. Chicken/turkey or better yet fish like cod.

Chicken has 1/2 the saturated fat of red meat, cod has 1/10.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I see the immature crowd is here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nice. How much time did the chicken spend on the grill?

+1 This looks great. More details would be appreciated on cooking times!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nice. How much time did the chicken spend on the grill?

i would like to know that too, please.
also did you use your weber genesys?

small suggestion:
fresh garlic sauce: crushed garlic mixed with olive oil and coarse salt until mayo consistency, then "cut" down with good yogurt or tomato sauce (with a hint of celery leafs) (i know you can yours)

and "to kill the bird", a picture of final product and fresh salad on those beautiful countertops of yours.

no wine? or maybe spring lemonade (with local honey)?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Kruse
All that work for some nasty ol yard bird?? No thanks.

I see the immature crowd is here.

Chicken looks good Pop..... However....

Joe powers comment was 100% on target I would think you would see the irony in it.
From a thread just now. about a guy who hit a random object on the highway in the middle of the night.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's good no one was injured, but it's also a good lesson about driving within the range of your headlights at night.
Something happens and you immediately jump on them.

Last edited:
Nicely done PR! Reminds me it's time for beer-can chicken + garlic, rosemary roasted potatoes.

Olive oil, rosemary, thyme & pepper can make anything tasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back