Dollar General API SN oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Dollar General today and noticed they are replacing the old SF rated oil with API SN oil.

Wonder who makes this stuff, and wonder if it has something to do with the lawsuit? Also, it is still the same price as the SF stuff. so far only seen 10-30 and 10-40.

IMG_20160602_141005_zps9wxt1fcp.jpg

IMG_20160602_141016_zpswtzfmkdl.jpg

Wow Dollar General...A dollar store has oil for $2.85 a quart.. I wonder if they will change their name to the Two Eighty Five store?

I just could not trust whats in that bottle, perhaps it was sn when tested but what are they bottling now? Supertech sure, i'd run that, any warren oil i'd run. But unless we know who is bottling it, ( and it could be whoever is cheaper that month) i'd only use it as emergency top off oil.

Last edited:
The little embossed "how to pour" icon makes me think this is Warren.

*Edit - Don't let the name fool you. Dollar General is really no different than Wal Mart in the sense that both companies fiercely compete in retail and some studies have shown that DG actually costs MORE on average.

I'm just gonna guess that this is probably because of the lawsuit, I am glad though. Selling oil so obsolete that engine damage could occur to the unsuspecting (uneducated) user is a poor idea. Still not my cup of tea though.

I'll stick to Pennzoil, Valvoline & Mobil at Walmart...

See if don't care that oil exists. I care about its placement on the shelf next to legitimate oils for the sake of luring a sale from an uninformed customer.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wow Dollar General...A dollar store has oil for $2.85 a quart.. I wonder if they will change their name to the Two Eighty Five store?

Dollar General hasn't been a "dollar store" for a while.

Dollar Tree on the other hand, is.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

No, Smarty!

They will change the quart to a Cola based 12 ounces.

Glad to see it as the other stuff they used to sell wasn't fit for a mower even though it was properly marked I saw people buy it all the time. Never made sense to me as they also have name brand stuff and frequent sales the make it pennies more, but some people don't care. They just ran Peak at 3 bucks a quart for example.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Glad to see it as the other stuff they used to sell wasn't fit for a mower even though it was properly marked I saw people buy it all the time. Never made sense to me as they also have name brand stuff and frequent sales the make it pennies more, but some people don't care. They just ran Peak at 3 bucks a quart for example.

I know ... earlier this year I saw someone buy the SF 10W-30 DG motor oil when PEAK 10W-30 was on sale for $3 per quart. I tried to let him know that the DG oil was SF and advised him to read the back of the bottle ... that it is not suitable and would be harmful to his engine (for gasoline autos made after 1988). I pointed at the PEAK motor oil which was only 25 cents more and advised that it is API SN/GF-5, fine for today's gasoline-powered autos, but he bought the DG oil anyway. Oh well, I tried.

Originally Posted By: mcgophers
Did anyone else notice the lack of the starburst on the front of the 10W-30?

Yes, I noticed that first thing .... it says it is SN/GF-5, wonder why there is no API Starburst?

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

Yes, I noticed that first thing .... it says it is SN/GF-5, wonder why there is no API Starburst?

This is the first thing I noticed. I believe it cost quite a bit to get the API starburst on the label. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be caught dead using an oil without the starburst. Why take a chance on a mystery oil? There's absolutley no reason to. Oil changes are such a miniscule expense in the total cost of owning a vehicle.

Need the PQIA to do a VOA here.

As for the manufacturer my speculation is Warren looking at the bottle design besides the WPP on the bottom they also put some sort of logo to distinguish the brand within a circle near the neck of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Tony10s

This is the first thing I noticed. I believe it cost quite a bit to get the API starburst on the label. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be caught dead using an oil without the starburst. Why take a chance on a mystery oil? There's absolutley no reason to. Oil changes are such a miniscule expense in the total cost of owning a vehicle.

For what it's worth, Havoline High Mileage doesn't have the API starburst either and it is not resource-conserving, even in thinner grades, despite it having the donut for SN. Granted, it was enough to persuade me to choose conventional over the high mileage in that brand the last time I used that brand.

Considering that I can go out and buy a 5-qt jug of Mobil Super for $14.17 at my local Walmart, and that works out to roughly $2.85 per quart, I'll go with Mobil Super over the DG stuff any day of the week

... at least until I see a VOA from PQIA, AND it looks superior to Mobil Super.

.. and even then, I'll probably still stick with Mobil Super.

That, or I'll go to Sam's Club and get a 12-quart box of Certified for $24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back