File Insurance Claim or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front end damage results in "cosmetic" parts (bumper cover, grille, impact bar, & styrofoam piece) ~$650-700 and would need the bumper cover primed & painted by body shop (~$350). Total is ~$1,000-$1,100. Deductible is $500. Alfa insurance company. What's the rule of thumb for when to file a claim vs. pay out of pocket re: rate hikes, driver being moved to the new vehicle, etc.?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Front end damage results in "cosmetic" parts (bumper cover, grille, impact bar, & styrofoam piece) ~$650-700 and would need the bumper cover primed & painted by body shop (~$350). Total is ~$1,000-$1,100. Deductible is $500. Alfa insurance company. What's the rule of thumb for when to file a claim vs. pay out of pocket re: rate hikes, driver being moved to the new vehicle, etc.?

What were the 3 other quotes you got!

Was another party involved? Might as well file as the effect is the same. Check your policy as some require you to file no matter what. Failure to do so can have consequences.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Your deductible is insane.

Why do you say that? I think $500 is pretty typical.

Was another party involved? Might as well file as the effect is the same. Check your policy as some require you to file no matter what. Failure to do so can have consequences.

Consequences?? How would the insurance company even find out if you pay "out of pocket" at a independent body shop??

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

And that's insane!!! I've had $0 deductible since I started driving... Every year when I call to review my policy the difference between $500 and $0 deductibles (collision, comprehensive, and glass) is about $50/6mo.

And that's insane!!! I've had $0 deductible since I started driving... Every year when I call to review my policy the difference between $500 and $0 deductibles (collision, comprehensive, and glass) is about $50/6mo.

So if you've had insurance for longer than 5 years without filing a claim you're losing money.

I can understand wanting $0 deductible for peace of mind though.

It costs you $100/yr for $0 deductible. If you've gone 5 years with no claims you're wasting $100/yr and you've proved it. We have $1k deductible, figure if it's the other guy's fault his insurance will pay and if it's my fault I deserve a smack up side the head. Many thousands to the good.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

It costs you $100/yr for $0 deductible. If you've gone 5 years with no claims you're wasting $100/yr and you've proved it. We have $1k deductible, figure if it's the other guy's fault his insurance will pay and if it's my fault I deserve a smack up side the head. Many thousands to the good.

Agreed. It's an incentive to drive more defensively.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

$1000 here, too. The low deductible logic seems similar to that of having the cheapest rate for "full coverage" and comparing it to other's rates. "You pay how much per month!!!??? I get away with min coverage, have tons of new cars AND I've got a bunch of speeding tickets! You fool!" Right...

My high coverage is so that my life is never at risk of being ruined for one bone-head mistake in which I hurt people and cause a lot of damage. If you don't have any assets, then maybe min coverage is more of an acceptable risk. I can afford to write a check for a grand for my deductible if something happens.

Heck, I'd probably double that if there was no risk of being sued (eg, property damage only) in order to keep insurance out of it, if it meant keeping my rates low. Fortunately, I've never had to make that call. A buddy of mine did and was able to satisfy someone he'd hit with a fat check. He could've been burned obviously, but wasn't.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Find a shop, tell them your deductible and ask them to put that into the estimate. Go to several shops do the same exact thing.

That would be insurance fraud.

Plus one.

First time I raised my deductible from $50 to $200 to "save money," I had an accident within 1 year. What I learned was that the difference in those 2 rates was so small via my insurance company that it would take me several years of no accidents/claims to actually save any money. I think the difference was under $50/yr. I switched back to the $50 deductible the year after and have kept it ever since.

Good thought about the other guy filing a claim. He hit someone in front of him and damaged his front bumper. I hit his claw hitch...

I've not had an accident for almost 20 years so was really bummed. I thought that I had stopped in time but then there was the hitch that I missed. At least no one was hurt. To boot the vehicle is less than 3 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back