Mercruiser fuel cooler module

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has a 2005 Sea Ray with twin Mercruiser GM big blocks. Each engine has a fuel cooler module to cool the fuel. It's cooled with sea water even though the basic engine is FWC.

Apparently the inside of the fuel cooler module is painted and that paint is now flacking off getting into the fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail and injectors. He cannot run the engine and must be towed to a Mercruiser dealer.

Anyone hear of this? Does Mercruiser pick up the entire tab or parts only? I told him to push Mercruiser hard to pick up the entire tab.

That sounds bizarre. I could see them coating the inside of the cooler where the saltwater flows to prevent corrossion.. but coating the inside where the fuel flows?

Those are known to clog with salt/deposits and require cleaning.
When clogged the fuel is too hot and the engine will only run a short amount of time.

Are you positive that was diagnosed correctly?

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
He has a warranty on an 11 year old boat that would cover that?.,,,

+1 Mercury has no obligation to pick up the tab on an 11 year old product.

Mercruiser has a TSB on it. Mercruiser had an improperly designed/manufactured part. This was the third generation of the fuel cooler module. Given that the replacement fuel cooler module is a different design and Mercruiser will pay for the parts it says to me they are admitting there is a problem with the design of the fuel cooler module. Maybe the paint could not stand up to E10 fuel. Mercruiser should have thought about that. Maybe advise owners to replace the fuel cooler module before the paint starts flaking off.

You expect problems due to wear, and maybe manufacturing defects, but not design issues.

It's Mercruiser. Of course it has a design flaw.

I wouldn't expect them to be terribly nice about it at all. They rarely are.

It's going to come down to the dealer. If they shove hard enough, Merc should at least cover parts. Labor? Maybe, but not likely.

The "Cool-Fuel" system is part of why I run only big block carb engines.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
He has a warranty on an 11 year old boat that would cover that?.,,,

+1 Mercury has no obligation to pick up the tab on an 11 year old product.

+ a thousand or so. I can't believe anyone would think they deserve warranty on an old boat no matter your personal feelings about mercury...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back