Honda Harmony HRM215 oil burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I have a Honda HRM215, I think with the GXV140 engine. It's over 20 years old, and I've had it for about 8. It always runs great and starts with 1 pull. Lately, it smokes a little on cold start, but if I have to shut it down, as it spools down it smokes bad. It smokes bad on hot starts too. While it's running I don't see any smoke, but I smell faint burning oil. I put a new plug in and changed the oil in the fall, and I've only cut the grass 7-8 times this year. Already, the oil is down about 1/3 of the way on the cross hatching and the plug is covered in sticky black goop. Seems to me like it's starting to burn bad and is on the way out (I'm guessing valve seals). Since it runs so well, I'd love to get a few more years out of it...any idea what will help these motors reduce oil burn?

What's the coldest temp you'll mow in?
Monogrades traditionally work well in OPE.
SAE30 would serve you well and reduce consumption.
SAE40 would reduce it even further if you don't mow in too cold.
HDEO's are generally a good idea, monograde or not.

Edit: if you store it in a heated garage, you can use heavier grades then ambient would allow. In scenarios like yours, startup temp is what matters the most.

Last edited:
If it was a car engine, I would recommend new valve stem seals I would try a heavier oil 20 w 50 or straight 40. As long as the engine runs. It will run longer if you check the oil before every use. That should be done to all OPE. Yours will just need oil every time. You may have some luck with a solvent flush.

Originally Posted By: JMHC
any idea what will help these motors reduce oil burn?

Pull it apart and see what's going on, and then go from there. Those little engines are extremely simple to work on and take apart. Then you'll know what you have.

Is the air filter and breather system all good?

I have seen a few really high hour Honda GXs smoke a bit and still run like a top.

Have you done a compression check?

A headgasket leak that allows combustion pressure into the crankcase will cause excessive oil consumption.

Just keep the oil topped off. At your burn rate, it will almost always have fresh oil and you will not need to replace the oil all at once as you will have done it along the way

Of course, you can tear down the engine and diagnose it.

Or you could go to Harbor freight and buy a new engine and replace it.

You never said what oil you are using? If it is synthetic, get it out of there. Replace it with fresh conventional SAE30. Don't fill it to the top of the dip stick. Fill it to the halfway point on the dipstick. These few simple steps cures smoking issues on a lot of engines. Of course, the engine is getting old and is likely getting tired, either tear it apart and fix it or live with it until you can buy another mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back