Pennzoil 0w40 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far would you be willing to go in time/miles on a Pennzoil 0w40, aka SRT. What mileage on oil would be the cutoff point in YOUR vehicle without doing UOAs? And would it be any different between the old SRT 0w40 formula and the new SRT 0w40 PurePlus formula?

Like the others have said, depends on alot of factors.

What car are you using this in?

I have looked at it for my Cali SRT, but in the end Mobil 1 is half the price, and most certainly not half the quality. Mobil 1 is what was spec'd for SRT vehicles previously, its only somewhat recent that they are partnered with Pennzoil. My oil cap even says to use M1 0w40 (not that I wouldnt use something else).

I have read that the new Pennzoil "SRT" 0w40 has something in it that is more beneficial to the 6.4 liter hemi's, though I cant remember what.

Depending on driving habits, and other factors, i'd probably change it around 6,000 miles. I don't think its touted as a long drain oil.

Since you say without UOA, I would do 10,000kms max. 6-7500miles without a UOA since my car recommends every 8k kms..but thats just me.

The M1 is not half the price of the SRT. Both are routinely offered with rebates. So with a $10 rebate you can get a jug of SRT net for around $12-$16 the rest of 2016. You just have to find a store that carries it. I bought 13 qts of SRT at $2/qt in December during the AZ clearance sale. If that goes on again, and with a $2/qt rebate for up to 48 qts....it would be essentially free....just pay sales tax - or about 13c per quart for me.

The SRT 0w-40 is designed for the SRT engines, all of which have exceedingly short oil change intervals. My OLM came on telling me to change my factory fill at 8,900Km (5,500 miles). Subsequently, I would not whimsically use it in other applications for extended OCI's without a complement of UOA's to support it going the distance.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The SRT 0w-40 is designed for the SRT engines, all of which have exceedingly short oil change intervals. My OLM came on telling me to change my factory fill at 8,900Km (5,500 miles). Subsequently, I would not whimsically use it in other applications for extended OCI's without a complement of UOA's to support it going the distance.

I agree. But then, I don't even use it in my SRT, I use M1 0w40 which has a much longer track record. A lot of my bias against Pennzoil 0w40 SRT is that it just seems like it was slapped together to fill a 0w40 requirement that was left vacant when FCA switched from XOM to SOPUS. In fact the first year of the SOPUS alliance, Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 was factory fill in SRTs because Pennzoil didn't have a 0w40 in the premium lineup. PU "SRT" 0w40 seems like a very ordinary, standard-duty additive package that was translated over to a 0w40 grade. Its even got SN 30-grade-like levels of phosphorous and zinc rather than the higher levels allowed for a 40 under SN (yes, I know there are other ways to skin that cat and SRT engines don't need extremely high doses anyway). Then there's the whole fact that it was THE LAST PU Grade to get switched over to their hyped-up GTL base stock. Dead last... and this is supposedly a high-performing oil??

To be fair, I am speculating a lot on its formulation, as we all have to do since the oil companies hold things close to the vest. It may be good oil. It may be VERY good. But given the fact that its either very hard to find or priced much higher than M1 (usually both in my area!), that VOAs and UOAs on it don't look better (and maybe not as good as) M1, and that M1 has such a strong reputation there just wasn't any hesitation for me. Even before warranty was up, M1 0w40 went in the SRT-8. And lest anyone think I'm some kind of XOM homey, my Jeeps have always gotten SOPUS products.

I would really like to know what is that sweet ingredient that the Hemi engines get? It's gonna bug me now... Oil is used in few different engines, none of which are speced for it. I prefer to pick my oil based on manufacturer's recomendations from around the world and temperature charts, rather than CAFE recomendations in USA. So 0w30 and 0w40 for me. It is very easy to find for me, all I gotta do is step out to my garage and look at the shelves to find hundreds of quarts of that oil and various other oils that I got on Autozone clearance last year. I guess I'll go with 5k OCIs in all cars, except my sludged up Vibe where it will be 2500-3000 miles per OCI, until sludge cleans up at least.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
The M1 is not half the price of the SRT. Both are routinely offered with rebates. So with a $10 rebate you can get a jug of SRT net for around $12-$16 the rest of 2016. You just have to find a store that carries it. I bought 13 qts of SRT at $2/qt in December during the AZ clearance sale. If that goes on again, and with a $2/qt rebate for up to 48 qts....it would be essentially free....just pay sales tax - or about 13c per quart for me.

I've never even seen Pennz SRT in a 5 quart container. I can only seem to find it in quarts online that are around $8-9 a quart. Have any links for where to find it for less? I almost picked some up for $8 a quart on amazon, but then thought how M1 is $22 normally, and they recently had their rebate so I picked up a couple gallon containers of that.

OP, what cars are you looking at this for? for a pontiac vibe why not just get some normal pennzoil platinum 5-30 or 5-20 (whichever the manual calls for).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I would really like to know what is that sweet ingredient that the Hemi engines get?

Nothing at all. The SRT versions of the Hemi (6.1, 6.4, or 6.2 Hellcat) are just expected to see harder use than the 5.7 (and since the 6.x has higher output but the same size bearings, higher specific loading) so they get a 0w40 oil recommendation instead of the 5w20 or 5w30 (3/4 and 1-ton truck applications) recommendation that the 5.7 gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back