Oil for 2010 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting my oil changed at the Honda dealer for the past couple of years because I was leasing my Hondas. However, after returning my last lease in 2013, we decided to buy a used 2010 Accord that had just come off lease (still leasing our Odyssey).

I had a couple of "free" oil changes after I bought it and just kept going to them because it was easier. Now, since I will be keeping this car, I want to get back to working on my car and do my own changes.

I have the 2.4 4cyl engine with just over 55k miles on it (it had 19k when I bought it in 2013). Honda specs 0w-20 oil. The dealer said they always use Honda 0w-20 synthetic blend when doing changes. I live in NY and do a lot of stop and go driving. I would say 75% stop-n-go & 25% highway. We are getting into Summer and the temps can average around the mid 80's. Our winters vary and can be very cold.

Based on my conditions which oil would be best? I want to use full synthetic from here on. I used to use Valvoline Synpower in my Durango and liked it, however, I'm open to using another brand.

Also, is the oil % meter a reliable measurement with regard to when I should change the oil? I was told it only goes by engine RPMs and doesn't actually analyze the oil.

Thanks for the help!

I changed mine at 7500-10K and 10K is fine.
You're best off with a full synthetic as there are so many in the 0w and 5w20 ranges like Magnatec, QSUD, M1, PP, or PU. and many more. They are all good.

Yes, the oil life meter is reliable. Use it with confidence
smile.gif

Any 0w20 will do. Napa has PP 0w20 on sale this month, and there is a rebate on top of that. Pair it with a Napa Gold filter.

In the future, keep in mind that Napa has their house brand synthetic on sale a few times a year, the most recent sale being last month, so you just missed it by a couple days, but don't worry because it will go on sale again. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

The OLM doesn't actually test the oil in any way. It just uses a bunch of variables based on your driving habits, looks up some tables, does some math, and figures out how much usable life is left in it, probably with a healthy buffer. The computer has no idea if you're using 0w20 or 20w50, synthetic or dino, Redline or Bullseye. It also has no idea how much fuel dilution might be present.

I run old school PU 5w30 in my 2010 Accord with the same 2.4L engine.

I add some LubeGard Bio-Tech, just for fun. Napa Gold's for me. Sometimes I run a Napa Platinum 2 or 3 OCI's.

My car is 90% Highway. I change my oil around 8k miles.

My 2010 Accord UOA

Here is dissection of a couple of Napa Platinum filters (one was used during the UOA report linked above)

Napa Platinum Dissection

A car like your's is one I take care of. I use Mobil1 0W-20 (pale green bottle cap) or any 5W-20 available. Car runs so well.
TIP: Check the grease on your brake caliper glide pins. My neighbor's were in DIRE need of cleaning and regreasing.

I would stick with a Japanese 0W-20 as they are lighter on start-up than all OTC 0W-20s. The best two reasonably priced 0W-20s that I'd recommend are the Toyota brand (TGMO)and the Mazda brand (MGMO) 0W-20s. TGMO is the cheaper of the two and readily available at all Toyota and Lexus dealers.

Any syn 0W20 will work. I use QSUD and M1 AFE (picked up 2 bottles during the recent rebate). Current fill is Kendall GT-1 syn from the dealer.

Some of these K24's burn oil like mad, Honda says its caused by inferior fuel and not letting the engine warm up before high revs. Most of the issues seem to be in the early model years but I wouldn't take any chances. I use Pennzoil Platinum as it is a good cleaning oil. Just use a high quality OTC synthetic and change on time and you should be golden.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like a synthetic 0w-20, 5w-20, or even 5w-30 from any major brand or Napa (thanks slacktide) will do.

gregk24: Thankfully, I don't think my engine has that problem yet. The level has been consistent since I had it and the dealer has never commented that the oil was low. Is there any specific mileage that this starts to happen with these engines? I appreciate the heads up on this

Originally Posted By: MikeinNY
Thanks guys.

Sounds like a synthetic 0w-20, 5w-20, or even 5w-30 from any major brand or Napa (thanks slacktide) will do.

gregk24: Thankfully, I don't think my engine has that problem yet. The level has been consistent since I had it and the dealer has never commented that the oil was low. Is there any specific mileage that this starts to happen with these engines? I appreciate the heads up on this

You can do lots of reading on Drive Accord. Some had the issue early on, others had it down the road. It supposedly has to do with inferior quality gas and not letting the engine warm up before romping on it. So use a top tier fuel, a quality synthetic oil, and go easy on the throttle and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back