Toyota Power Steering Fluid vs. Dex III

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2006 Highlander says use Dexron III on the power steering cap, but of course that is an obsolete fluid so I found it strange. I called the dealership and they said use Toyota Power Steering fluid that they sell in the parts dept. I can't find any evidence of this product on the web. Does it exist, or do I have to drive down to the dealership to find out?

You can use the same fluid you purchased for your ATF, the Castrol or Valv. you were asking about. It will be DexIII compatible. And likely synthetic, so better long-term than a current DexIII product.

have used mobil1 and redline d4 atf here in my 06 avalon xls. currently using amsoil signature series atf in the power steering. no issues. runs better. added a cardone inline filter as cheap insurance too.

you may wish to remove the reservoir and clean the internal mesh screen. before i do a fluid change/flush, i usually drain part of the reservoir, refill with seafoam, drive for a day oe two, and then completely flush it out with new fluid.

Last edited:
I used Mobil D/M with turkey baster method in my Tacoma specing Dex II/III, been working fine.

DexIII not difficult spec to meet nowadays.

I suppose if you want to go and get a synthetic fluid you can. Based on my experience with Mobil D/M, I'd just look for something like Peak DexIII or similar. They sell the Peak at Dollar General around here. MaxLife ATF be an option too.

I always trust Redline PSF, works great on Toyota. Do a return line flush and its good for 60K miles (remember the capacity os 0.9Q so more frequent changes).

Originally Posted By: messerchmidt

you may wish to remove the reservoir and clean the internal mesh screen. before i do a fluid change/flush, i usually drain part of the reservoir, refill with seafoam, drive for a day oe two, and then completely flush it out with new fluid.

I am a fan of this, too. Thought I would have to rebuild a pump but this cleaned it up.

However, if you are not going to do a subsequent full flush (and it is NOT hard to do that), be very parsimonious witrh the amount of SeaFoam or B-12 as it really thins what is already a thin oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back