Mobil 1 10w60 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me Mobil did 15W-50 and Castrol did 10W-60. That's how it was in the old days.

I suppose 10W-60 has now become a standard performance grade and everybody needs to produce a product in that weight.

What kills batteries in the winter? Is it the tempersture the acid has to deal with or the stress of churning an engine with a heavy sump, or what?

I hear it is the heat of the summer killing it that the cold of winter reveals.

For regular street driving, I would advise you go with the Extended Life formula. Bear in mind it is a high mileage oil, however.

Ha just realised it costs 70 Euros for a 5 litre jug, i could get 2 jugs of VR1 20w50 for the same price, i'll start hoarding VR1 and Motorcraft EFL90 filters soon
smile.gif

I've used the racing formula 10w60 still SF (it had racing flags on the bottle), one fill from 1990 to 1992, ocied for 13k miles (20k kms), including about 60h of offroad riding on that huge oci, lotta city driving and road trips in a Honda XLX 350R, without issues. That was an ignorance moved test. That oci took 2 rear tires. Sold the bike in 93 with about 16k miles, still in great conditions. The oil condition I don't know :xD

The honda dealer installed the oil in the first factory inspection and said it could run 20k miles with syn oil and I belived! That was still the real PAO + Ester stuff, IMO. Didn't felt sheared, too. At lesst The shifting was fine.

5c is about the average temperature for a winter morning here, during the night it might go down to 0 or -2, however sometimes i go to a friend's house in the mountains and this winter one night it was -7c while i was there, the car started fine even with 20w50 in the sump.
i used to run 10w40 but switched to 20w50 since it burns less oil that way, and the owner's manual specs 20w50 for warm climates like here where it can get up to 40c ( 100f ) during the summer, and the engine has 150k miles on it, i'll soon change the valve seals since after doing a lot of investigation that is the most likely culprit, the car is from 1975 but it has a 1980 engine in it and it hasn't had the valve seals changed ever since!

Originally Posted By: Pontual
I've used the racing formula 10w60 still SF (it had racing flags on the bottle), one fill from 1990 to 1992, ocied for 13k miles (20k kms), including about 60h of offroad riding on that huge oci, lotta city driving and road trips in a Honda XLX 350R, without issues. That was an ignorance moved test. That oci took 2 rear tires. Sold the bike in 93 with about 16k miles, still in great conditions. The oil condition I don't know :xD

The honda dealer installed the oil in the first factory inspection and said it could run 20k miles with syn oil and I belived! That was still the real PAO + Ester stuff, IMO. Didn't felt sheared, too. At lesst The shifting was fine.

I too used full synthetic 10W-60 (Castrol) in my Honda motorcycle (CBR 600). I changed it every 10,000KM for ten years, sold it with 100,000KM on the clock and both the engine and clutch were in great condition.

The oil came out looking clean, clear and fine after 10,000KM with not gear changes issues. I always felt it could have gone a lot further. Back then the Castrol tech people told me the 10W-60 was PAO based.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I never knew, bit apparently there is a M1 10w60, there are 2 types, the extended life and motorsport formula, what do you think.
Haven't seen it mentioned here ever

It has not been mentioned on here probably because it is a Euro/'rest of the world' XOM product ONLY, and not available here in the states.

We get the Castrol TWS (or whatever it is now), the BMW stuff at the dealers, Red Line, and Lubro/Liqui Moly ONLY in that weight here.

i have seen it discussed on some US BMW Boards, i wonder how it performs compared to Castrol's 10w60.
Also it apparently has 1300ppm of zddp so i guess this oil could be of use to some classic racers

Probably just the same add pack as 0W40 and 5W50 with a thicker base oil.

Have a jug of motorsport formula 10W60 in my stash since the extended lifetime is impossible to find (does it even exist in Europe?), but I don't know what I could do with it. Maybe in my diesel someday...got it for 44€ online, according to my records.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Probably just the same add pack as 0W40 and 5W50 with a thicker base oil.

If Ford Capri Driver above is correct with that ZDDP content, then it is NOT the same add pack as those two M1 weights, since they both have ZDDP levels at least 200 PPM LESS THAN that, at least for our versions of them here in the states.

You're right, my bad. I originally bought it since it was the oil Mobil recommend on its site for my diesel, was looking for a better oil, thought "mobil 1 is good oil", then followed the recommendations on the website (strange since my car is given for 10/15W40 on all other websites).
Then I discovered bitog, and forgot about it in a closet, until this thread, lol

So I have some but never tried it. At first sight through pdf it appeared having the same infinieum add pack than others, but I was wrong...and 1300ppm ZDDP is good news in fact, I may try it next OC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back