feedback on choice of oil & filter for DIY changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
decided to start DIY oil changes on my '15 Jeep Patriot (2.4L 4-banger & 6-speed auto transmission); my dealer 'freebie' was suppossedly Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 oil & Mopar oil filter...changed out oil/filter with 3405 miles (6905 total miles on vehicle); without truly knowing if I had synthetic in the engine I wasn't going to risk a 7000 mile OCI; with that stated...

what I bought to use was Pennzoil conventional 5w-20 x 12 qts, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 x 3 qts, Napa ProSelect 27060 filters x 3; plan is to mix 1 qt PP with 4 qts PYB & use proper amount needed to fill engine...each change gets a Napa ProSelect filter; planned OCI is @ 3500-4000 miles; am I on the right track for a synthetic blend to increase protection over straight conventional? thanks...

Well, the PYB can handle the OCI you are planning by itself so you will be gaining little (if anything at all) by adding PP to the mix. I would run PYB for 5K without the PP and pick up additional PP for an OCI of that at some point.

I like the plan. I'd just move to Napa Gold filter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
decided to start DIY oil changes on my '15 Jeep Patriot (2.4L 4-banger & 6-speed auto transmission); my dealer 'freebie' was suppossedly Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 oil & Mopar oil filter...changed out oil/filter with 3405 miles (6905 total miles on vehicle); without truly knowing if I had synthetic in the engine I wasn't going to risk a 7000 mile OCI; with that stated...

what I bought to use was Pennzoil conventional 5w-20 x 12 qts, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 x 3 qts, Napa ProSelect 27060 filters x 3; plan is to mix 1 qt PP with 4 qts PYB & use proper amount needed to fill engine...each change gets a Napa ProSelect filter; planned OCI is @ 3500-4000 miles; am I on the right track for a synthetic blend to increase protection over straight conventional? thanks...

I think your nuts. If you buy PP or Mobil 1 at Walmart in 5 QT jugs its $10 more than non synthetic. If you can afford a 2015 vehicle you can afford the $10. Then buy a decent $5 to $10 filter. Make your oil change easy.

I dont really see the advantage to the "Home Brew" Pennzoil Blend over the $17.47 5 qt Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend or $16.97 5 qt Quaker State Enhanced Durability Blend from Walmart.

The factory blends are already 50%+ Group III and use a similar add pack to Platinum or QSUD.

Why even think of mixing oil when you have a 5qt oil change and oil comes in 5qt jugs?

And for that matter, why buy more then you need unless there was a good deal?

Return everything, and buy a five quart jug of whatever you feel like.

Donald who took a number 1 or possible number 2 in your Cornflakes this am?
smile.gif

There really is 0 difference in protection between PYB and PP at an interval of 3-4k miles. I'm guilty of doing a custom blend of PYB and PP has well. It really is not necessary at the end of the day. So just run one or the other and you'll be just fine. Ohh and its interesting that when the PQIA tested the PYB 5w20 it's sure seemed to be more like a synthetic. NOACK of 6.8 or something very lowike that.

Last edited:
With all due respect your plan is not good, the dealer is a better option they have no reason to not do you right.
If you insist go with a NAPA Silver (or Gold) oil filter plus Pennzoil Platinum at 4,000 and you will be great.
TOTO.

Your oil plan doesn't make sense at all.

Individual PYB quart bottle is as expensive as PP in 5-qt jug. If you think PP in 5-qt jug is too expensive but like some thing better than PYB then get 5-qt jug Pennzoil Gold.

If you calculate the extra expense of PP over PYB in 7k miles OCI, it is about a dime every 100 miles. In this mileage you will spend about $10 for gas(25 MPG at $2.50/gal), does another 10 cents will drain your saving ? If you slow down 5MPH on highway you will save more on gasoline than the extra 10 cents it will cost you with PP.

Do what makes you happy, but if the car is still U/W be sure to follow Jeep's specs on your OCI, and use synthetic if it's specified for your engine.

I bought a bunch of QSGB and QSUD individual quarts at great holiday sale prices (less than Walmart jug deals), and I use two quarts synthetic and three quarts conventional in my wife's M35, and I go 4,500 miles between changes. It's better than Infiniti requires so I'm good with it.

Many opinions here, but doing better than your manual requires can't hurt. Also, I doubt the dealership was giving you freebie PP unless your engine required synthetic, or maybe they lied a little.

Use the factory-recommended OCI and oil type while under warranty.

It seems your Patriot has an OLM, which you can follow with confidence. Synthetic doesn't seem to be required, either, so any 5w20 will work. After the warranty is over, you can use 0w20.

You just missed Napa's synthetic sale, but they do run it a couple times a year. Napa synthetic is rebranded Syhnpower. However, they do have PP on sale this month for $4.99/qt, and there is a $2/qt rebate, making it the same price as the house brand was last month. Pair it with a Napa Gold filter
smile.gif

You're thinking too hard. Cheap syn oil like NAPA for $15 for 5 qts right now and a cheap filter. OEM filters are cheaper than most aftermarket I've found. Just pulled a QS $1.99 off my car with a tick over 7500 miles and the ADBV still worked because it was filled to the top with oil. People overthink on here. Your interval is also way too short. Follow the OLM or what your owner's manual says. Doesn't sound like you're maxing its tow capacity or drag racing...

Originally Posted By: Yup
You're thinking too hard. Cheap syn oil like NAPA for $15 for 5 qts right now and a cheap filter.

the Napa sale just ended on Tuesday

Save yourself the trouble, return everything you purchased. Go to Walmart & spend $22.XX for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum & pick up a FRAM Tough Guard or Ultra, change at 7,500 miles & call it a day. Or you can get a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil conventional for $16.XX or Pennzoil Gold SynBlend (50% synthetic) for $17.XX & change at 5,000-6,000. Your blending ideas are unnecessary & complicates things for the warranty if you ever had an oil related engine failure.

well...okie dokie; thanks for the feedback; bought the stuff on sale over 6 months ago...too late to return; guess I'll just use the stuff as planned and be wiser the next time I buy stuff next year; thanks again...I guess

well...okie dokie; thanks for the feedback; bought the stuff on sale over 6 months ago...too late to return; guess I'll just use the stuff as planned and be wiser the next time I buy stuff next year; thanks again...I guess

Well if you already have it & got it on sale then by all means use it. I'd just use the Pennzoil conventional alone, no mixing. And pick up more Platinum for an oil change of that.

This is the problem, you already had all the oils so use what you have is okay. If you posted this info in the very first post then nobody would disagree with you.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
I dont really see the advantage to the "Home Brew" Pennzoil Blend over the $17.47 5 qt Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend or $16.97 5 qt Quaker State Enhanced Durability Blend from Walmart.

The factory blends are already 50%+ Group III and use a similar add pack to Platinum or QSUD.

+1.....simplify..... and use either Pennzoil Gold or QS Enhanced Durability (syn blends). Both are top rated and you should easily do 5K to 7K OCI's.

IMO it make no sense in doing your own mixing, when both these oils have done it already for you.

The Fram TG filter would be a perfect combo.

Note: You might bring back the oil you bought 6 months ago (to Walmart)....even w/o a receipt, and they might give you a credit to purchase the blend oils mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Save yourself the trouble, return everything you purchased. Go to Walmart & spend $22.XX for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum & pick up a FRAM Tough Guard or Ultra, change at 7,500 miles & call it a day. Or you can get a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil conventional for $16.XX or Pennzoil Gold SynBlend (50% synthetic) for $17.XX & change at 5,000-6,000. Your blending ideas are unnecessary & complicates things for the warranty if you ever had an oil related engine failure.

+1 Pennzoil Platinum and Fram Ultra Guard call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back