2005 honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a accord that calls for 5w20, it has bout 175k on it. I see no leaks or oil weeping around, I just it bout 2500 miles ago with mobil 1 5w20. It is now almost down to the add bar on the dip stick. I thought bout trying mobil 1 high milege but I don't want my seals to start leaking. Or maybe just go to mobil super 5000 see if that helps. What do you guys think?

I would be more concerned with the trans if it is an automatic. That is the weak spot you are facing.

I don't think oil brand will likely determine the future outcome of your engine, seals etc.

If leaking is excessive, I'd go with the Mobil 1 HM. I doubt the HM oil would make it leak any more than Mobil1 has. HM oils are usually on the thicker end of the viscosity range than their non-hm counterparts. If you're very concerned the HM oil may clean out any crude, making the leaks worse and that you're spending money on a premium synthetic that's just going to leak out, then try the Mobil Super.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
It's not leaking a drop just burns it a little

Then I'd try a HM oil.

welcome to the league..Accord 2003 owner here. Car burns oil...about 1 liter every 1000 miles...even more when I drive it hard

I am also continueing with mobil 1 5w20 for the time being...

I heard that valvoline maxlife does the wonder but we don't get the full synthetic version here in Canada , only the synthetic blend..

not sure what to do...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dslofti
I have a accord that calls for 5w20, it has bout 175k on it. I see no leaks or oil weeping around, I just it bout 2500 miles ago with mobil 1 5w20. It is now almost down to the add bar on the dip stick. I thought bout trying mobil 1 high milege but I don't want my seals to start leaking. Or maybe just go to mobil super 5000 see if that helps. What do you guys think?

How much oil is it burning ??

Changing to an HM oil will not start an oil leak.

If you are concerned out the oil consumption rate, first of all make sure the CCV (Crank Case Vent) is not blocked. Then I would move up a grade to an 0 or 5w30 and either switch to a major brand (Mobil are good) HM oil, or if the problem is serious, try a can of stop leak additive. If you do decide to use an oil additive, use one made by a real good engine oil company, like Liqui Moly, not some back street snake oil mixers.

I'd run MaxLife Blend 5W-30 - that will give you the best results from a usage standpoint. Give it two OCIs to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back