Oil for a 2011 Jeep Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L V6. I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w20. I've been changing the oil myself but because doing an oil change on this thing is such a major P.I.T.A. (no easy way to do it), my wife thinks we should let the dealer do it. They supposedly use Pennzoil oil. Now I've been using M1 oils for a long time and have had excellent luck with it (my 2001 GMC Sierra has 225,000 miles and NO leaks), so I want to stick with that. I prefer not to use Pennzoil, not to mention letting a dealer do something I'm fully capable of doing myself, but since I'm amongst oil gurus I figured someone in this forum might tell me it's just as good. Any info is appreciated.

Tim H.

Pennzoil is fine and it meets the MS6395 spec. Mobil 1 doesn't meet the spec, Mobil Super does. As far as doing it yourself, let your wife read some of the horror stories here about having shops and/or dealers changing oil. That might convince her.

I have 3.7L 2008 Liberty, changing the oil isn't that bad although the oil filter is in a lousy place.

Try M1 0w20 EP and leave it for 10K min. This oil we speculate to be a majority poly a olefin base where as the GTL sopus/pennzoil are isoparaffin. The 5w20EP is purported to be not as robust if we use buster's fine link to XOM MSDS. Don't worry about the 0W multigrade class not fitting, this doesn't have anything to do with oil viscosity from cold to hot (though many Asian formulations took it upon themselves to make this a very light weight lube (kv100 ~ 7) with slickifiers to push CAFE #'s.

I have a 2012 Liberty and you are right there is no decent way to do it yourself. The filter is almost impossible to reach and I just don't have the time to fuss with it anymore. I just take it to the dealer. The 3.7 is not a picky engine. It's going to live longer than the 42RLE no matter what oil you run in it.

Thanks everyone, you have all been a great help. My dad has worked on cars since he was young and always said Pennzoil and Quaker State were no good. But like you guys have said, they have come a long way. And yes, dealers frighten me with the things they do and try to pull. I heard somewhere that if I can get the skid plate off, the oil filter is right there. I'd have to check into that to be sure.

Do you think I should stick with the 5w20, or is 10w30 ok?

The 10w30 would be just fine in summer but you'd be best off with a good 5w30 and just stick with it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back