Bike Rack Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bike rack for my tow car (2003 Dodge Durango 5.9L). But the instructions for the bike rack does not recommend bike rack on back of a tow car? What is the difference with a truck driving itself with the bike rack vs. being towed behind another vehicle with the bike rack on? I appreciate any insight on this. Just want to be safe.

Best,

If you tow with front wheels off the ground watch your clearance with the back rack, otherwise I suspect it's a liability thing.

Thanks Buck91. I am flat towing. The disclaimer does not differentiate what type of towing. That makes sense. Thanks.

Are you sure it says tow car and not towed trailer? They are not recommended on the back of trailers due to lightening of the tongue wt along with the vibrations which can cause them to break.

I will recheck again Nate1979. Thanks. Appreciate the responses.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Are you sure it says tow car and not towed trailer? They are not recommended on the back of trailers due to lightening of the tongue wt along with the vibrations which can cause them to break.

Motorcycles or bicycles? Bicycles aren't going to lighten the tongue weight. Most travel trailers don't have shocks so you can get pretty violent bouncing clear at the back - not good for racks or bikes. Not true with a towed car.

WAG: If you're not sitting in the car with the rack, then you get no early warning sounds if something's gone wrong back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back