Sell Accord For A Wrangler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could use some counsel...

I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler. The fun of the top and doors off has my attention, especially since selling my motorcycles. This gives me a similar, yet safer, feeling.

The Wranglers I am looking at are 2012 models with around 45k on the odometer and are about 20k asking price.

My Accord is a 2009 with around 77k on the odometer and has a KBB private sale value of about 13.5k.

My accord runs great. No issues at all. I know all the service history from the previous owner and I have kept up on maintenance too. The next "largest" service requirement is the timing belt at about 100k. It will take me around 2-3 years to run my mileage up to the 100k mark.

I don't anticipate my Accord to need anything else in that 2-3 year time frame. All fluids, brakes, spark plugs, filters, etc are fine. I will need a battery in less than a year.

I feel the Accord will serve me well.

Now, the Wrangler...

I have always heard/read that Jeeps in generally "always need something". Sure, I get to scratch my itch of the doors and top off in the summer and have 4WD in the Cleveland winters, but at what expense? I don't mind little things, but to have to go to the Jeep dealer for them to find, diagnose, and fix the constant issues will make me regret selling my Accord that has not given me any trouble.

That's how I look at it.

I'm curious to get more opinions/perspectives on it.

The 2012+ models (3.6L/NAG1 combo) are nothing like the Wranglers of old; highly refined, they actually make decent daily drivers.

Have you driven a 2012+ Wrangler yet? If not, that's step #1.

I own a 2004 Wrangler and enjoy it as a runabout. I would not recommend it as an only car.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I own a 2004 Wrangler and enjoy it as a runabout. I would not recommend it as an only car.

Your 2004 TJ is worlds apart from what he's looking at.

I have a Wrangler TJ and love it dearly, but the JKs with the 3.6 Pentastar are on a whole 'nother level. A JK is the only vehicle I'd consider to replace the TJ.
Buy one.

Your options are to (a) stay in your current but rather boring vehicle which likely will need only a battery over the next couple of years or (b)take $6K plus the sale price of your current vehicle to get into something that is fun to drive, but of questionable reliability and expense over the next couple of years.

How valuable would that fun be to you is the question? To me, it would be worth at most a passing thought to go with option (b), but to others it is a no-brainer to get the jeep.

Well at least you won't gain any increase in road noise
smile.gif

My buddy has a 2015 Wrangler as a daily driver. It is worlds apart even from the last generation. Rides smooth and handles great.

Drive one if you really want a Jeep it won't disappoint!

Stock jeeps are pretty good daily drivers and are (generally) pretty reliable as long as you don't get one with a bad case of the Chryslers.

Once you start modifying them and beating the living daylights out of them off road they start having a lot of problems. Ask me how I know that one
frown.gif

2 door or 4 door? The two door Wranglers look very limited on even carrying a decent grocery run's worth of stuff. I'd say do one of the 4 door ones with the 3.6 V6 and you're there. Depends on if you ever need the space I guess.

Get a Wrangler if you have the money, and you only drive 15k a year at the most. If it's something you always wanted why not do it. Make sure it's got a hardtop and probably a four door if it's your only vehicle.

Apples and potatoes. You don't seem to have much (any) experience with Wranglers. Might think about finding one to rent for a day or 2 and see if you can live with it long term compared to your Honda. Jeep guys are willing to put up with the rough edges compared to a sedan because it's a Jeep.

It's purely an emotional decision. It's not a great financial decision on many levels.

I love the comments on great handling and ride. Compared to a wrangler agree, anything
else wrangler absolutely mediocre at best in ride and handling. I have to occasionally ride in a 2015 unlimited to ski slopes with buddy and it feels like a school bus ride after two hours.

However the glee of owners seems to trump that. It's easy to resell if it does not work out.

Wranglers are overpriced, overvalued, and under delivers. That said, get rid of that accord because it is about refined as a 1980s Tercel.

Last edited:
Unless you're buying a 4 door, I'm not seeing how it's practical as are vulgar use vehicle. The rear seat is tiny and cargo space is poor.

I think I'd keep the accord and get an older one that isn't too abused.

2011 & 2012 3.6L Pentastar engines have been known to have defective cylinder heads. Buy a 2013 or newer.

A soft top in snowy weather? Sounds like it would leak, or you'd be replacing it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back