Recommend Router/access point with high speed wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a decent internet speed on my Ethernet hooked computers in home with 85Mbps.

I use a wrt54(8 years old) as my wireless access point and only get about 20 Mbps tops on iPhone and iPad. Any recommendations for a router or access point(disable DHCP on router) that will improve the speed to what I have on wire with some ability to penetrate 100 year old lathe walls okay?

Who is your ISP? I hate to say this but my Wrt54 and buffalo running tomato are both collecting dust. The Comcast supplied wifi router is giving me everything I need

Last edited:
I'm no expert but when my house went from 1 to 5 wifi devices I had to get a wireless router rated at 600mbps to actually have the devices work at my service rated at 60mbps. Cost about $55.

I would vote for a TP link Archer c7. Great Reviews and probably the most popular wireless router at the time for good reason.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I use a wrt54(8 years old) as my wireless access point and only get about 20 Mbps tops on iPhone and iPad. Any recommendations for a router or access point(disable DHCP on router) that will improve the speed to what I have on wire with some ability to penetrate 100 year old lathe walls okay?

If you're getting 20Mpbs on the 'ol WRT54G, signal strength is a non-factor, and there's simply no need for current high-end solutions; you're simply capped by limitations of old hardware horsepower and the 802.11g standard.

https://amzn.com/B0088CJT4U

The N750 TP-Link is only $49 on Amazon.

Even outside of throughput specs, want to be blown away by how far routers have come? Your old Linksys probably has 8MB RAM. The $49 TP-Link has 128MB RAM.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I would vote for a TP link Archer c7. Great Reviews and probably the most popular wireless router at the time for good reason.

+1 We have one at our house and the speed is great and has been ultra reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back