Want to hear from turbo owners that go 10k + oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about extending oci's in a few vehicles. I change the oil for our familys cars plus a couple more. 4 are port injected 2 are gdi turbo. I think Ive had enough of the feel good factor (using full synthetic and 5k oci) I would like to hear from some members that go 10k or more. Please list eng/vehicle, oci length, oil and filter used. Thanks in advance.
beer3.gif

I do 10,000 miles in my Focus ST which has the 2.0 DI turbo. But that is the normal OCI from the manual and oil life moniter. So I am just doing the regular OCI but I am using M1 EP and an oversize Fram Ultra. I believe all of the Ford turbos have 10,000 mile OCI.

But I also drive 120 miles a day M-F on the interstate. And bought the car new so I know the history. So I have the ideal environment for long drains.

In the end I doubt I will keep the car long enough for any of this to matter. Heck in 2 years I'll be at 100,000 miles and ready for something new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stranger706
I do 10,000 miles in my Focus ST which has the 2.0 DI turbo. But that is the normal OCI from the manual and oil life moniter. So I am just doing the regular OCI but I am using M1 EP and an oversize Fram Ultra. I believe all of the Ford turbos have 10,000 mile OCI.

But I also drive 120 miles a day M-F on the interstate. And bought the car new so I know the history. So I have the ideal environment for long drains.

In the end I doubt I will keep the car long enough for any of this to matter. Heck in 2 years I'll be at 100,000 miles and ready for something new.
What is the oil capacity for that ford 2.0 Turbo ?

Last edited:
Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo. I follow the OLM which has me changing between 9700-9800. Use Mobil 1 5w-30 and AC Delco oil filter.

Do not do it if it is DI engine. BMW had 15K OCI, but they lowered it to 10K due to sulfur in gas.
I never god above 5K period in both cars.

I ran a 7.5k mile OCI on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 using M1 5W-30 and the OEM filter cartridge. However, UOAs indicated that a 10k OCI would have been entirely fine. I ran a 7.5 because my dealer gave me free oil changes for as long as I owned the car and that let me stay on the same interval as all of the other service requirements.
I now run a 2014 2 Series with the N55 turbo GDI motor and I plan to continue running a 10k OCI using BMW 5W-30 LL-01 oil and the OEM BMW cartridge filter.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I ran a 7.5k mile OCI on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 using M1 5W-30 and the OEM filter cartridge. However, UOAs indicated that a 10k OCI would have been entirely fine. I ran a 7.5 because my dealer gave me free oil changes for as long as I owned the car and that let me stay on the same interval as all of the other service requirements.
I now run a 2014 2 Series with the N55 turbo GDI motor and I plan to continue running a 10k OCI using BMW 5W-30 LL-01 oil and the OEM BMW cartridge filter.
Is that BMW Branded oil or just that spec ? Which 5w30 will you run?

Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
Originally Posted By: stranger706

My parent's escape with the same engine is like 5.7 quarts

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with a 2.0 non DI turbo. I was surprised the manufacturer's recommended OCI is only 5000 km for severe and 8000 km normal service. Don't see that low of a recommendation in modern cars usually.

Originally Posted By: nobb
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with a 2.0 non DI turbo. I was surprised the manufacturer's recommended OCI is only 5000 km for severe and 8000 km normal service. Don't see that low of a recommendation in modern cars usually.

Same thing with the Hyundai Veloster turbo (1.6 turbo). The manual calls for 5,000 miles normal, or 3,000 miles "severe". Of course severe is probably closer to most driving. So right there are two modern turbo direct injected cars that actually call for 3,000 mile OCI's. Could you go further? most probably. But the manufacturer actually saw fit to say only go to 3,000 miles on those engines, for whatever reason.

OP, I'd say its car-by-car basis. What are the cars you are looking at trying this with? The only real way to know if you can stretch it out is to do an Oil analysis at like maybe 7,000 miles first.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My parent's escape with the same engine is like 5.7 quarts

Yep 5.7 quarts per the manual and I do 6 quarts which puts it right at the full line.

Can't help you. I'm in the 5K camp for turbo gas motors. BUT, I will say to leave the filter on for a week or two after the change to retain and mix some of the AW compounds made in the engine during that run. More technical papers coming out about retained oil being good
smile.gif

Is that BMW Branded oil or just that spec ? Which 5w30 will you run?

I'm using the BMW branded oil; I decided to switch all of the BMWs over to it since Mobil 1 no longer has LL-01 certification. It streamlines my motor oil inventory...

I think you gas guys worry about your turbos to much. I have a Diesel that gets 30,000 mile conventional oil changes and has 1.4 million miles on the original turbo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
I think you gas guys worry about your turbos to much. I have a Diesel that gets 30,000 mile conventional oil changes and has 1.4 million miles on the original turbo.

aha and what kind of vehicle is that?
I bet that turbo spins 175,000 rpm's and produces same heat like gas engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: nobb

Same thing with the Hyundai Veloster turbo (1.6 turbo). The manual calls for 5,000 miles normal, or 3,000 miles "severe". Of course severe is probably closer to most driving. So right there are two modern turbo direct injected cars that actually call for 3,000 mile OCI's.

As HemiHawk stated, the Genesis 2.0T is not DI. Hyundai uses conservative OCi recommendations regardless of injection.

My wifes 2.0T (Hyundai recommends SM/GF-4 5W-30) which is T-GDi gets 3,000 mile OCi on conventional, synthetic or blend. Her driving is definitely severe service. It also takes her 5-6 months to reach the 3K miles.
I see no issue in going the full, normal oci if your driving condition permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back