Shell oils with PurePlus technology: any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Noobie
Getting ready for the oil changes!
IMG_0538.jpg

Can looks different to those sold over here. What does it say where's made?

Noobie,

Originally Posted By: Noobie
Getting ready for the oil changes!

In fact yes, I am planning to do an oil change this Sunday, winter is coming and now is the time to make an oil change before it's getting too cold to lie on the floor in the garage
smile.gif

Made by SOPUS USA
IMG_0556.jpg

Im also changing the oil this weekend or next week. Already at 10K KM in this OCI.

Last edited:
Well, after 3 OCIs with SHU GTL 5w40, I'm amazed by it's longevity: it starts feeling tired ( changing sound/smoothness) at ~ 11-12 000 km !!

It's way much stronger than the other oils I've used ( 6-8000km)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zveroboy
Well, after 3 OCIs with SHU GTL 5w40, I'm amazed by it's longevity: it starts feeling tired ( changing sound/smoothness) at ~ 11-12 000 km !!

Yep, I agree, Shell Ultra 5w40 is a real star. The only oil I've tried in my TDI that produced similar UOA results was the more expensive Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40 (Both Acea A3/B4). The best ring cleanliness and min friction results were based on the 0w40, but I doubt if there is any difference in the additives apart from slightly less VI (Viscosity Improvers) with the 5w40, so the results might even be a tad better with that version of Dutch liquid Gold.
I buy my engine oils online and 5 liters cost me 29 Euros inc postage in Germany (I spend half my time there), which is far cheaper than M1 or Casteroil Edge.
I can only use an 0w30 in winter, as there is a temp limit of 30c for my engine for non Xw40 oils.

Last edited:
zveroboy,

I am running second OCI of Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 (made in Netherlands) and I don't feel it is getting tired at 11 or 12k km ...

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Yep, I agree, Shell Ultra 5w40 is a real star. The only oil I've tried in my TDI that produced similar UOA results was the more expensive Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40 (Both Acea A3/B4). The best ring cleanliness and min friction results were based on the 0w40, but I doubt if there is any difference in the additives apart from slightly less VI (Viscosity Improvers) with the 5w40, so the results might even be a tad better with that version of Dutch liquid Gold.
I buy my engine oils online and 5 liters cost me 29 Euros inc postage in Germany (I spend half my time there), which is far cheaper than M1 or Casteroil Edge.
I can only use an 0w30 in winter, as there is a temp limit of 30c for my engine for non Xw40 oils.

Where is this ring cleanliness and friction data?

Originally Posted By: alcyon
Hmm, I wonder if some one will ask for data if the oil mentioned was Castrol....

Please can you finish your sentence rather than using ellipsis - im only left to guess what you want to say.

The guy is doing UOA on a VW TDi engine as his testing to rate oils. I am assuming the ring data is something he has found on the internet unless he has a pretty elaborate shed setup.

I haven't seen the latest Shell claims since they were forced to change them. GTL is a great base oil sure - but it offers nothing in terms of cleanliness over other base stocks.

Friction data is in public domain for any other oil company claims.

Last edited:
Another oil change coming soon for both Euro cars. No top up oil added in any of the two engines and both have around 10K KM already.
Will use Helix Ultra 5W-40 PurePlus again. Still the cheapest "Full Synthethic" i can get apart from Mag1 5W-40 FMX Euro but i "trust" more Shell than Mag1.

Last edited:
Factory fill in my 2015 Maserati Ghibli (5w/40). First oil change at approx 8000km or 1 year. Car should be back from workshop today can't wait to see how it is. The engine was no different in terms of noise or feel at 1000km or nearly 8000km. Mobil 1 0w/40 in previous car C63 became noisy and grumpy after 5000km so I changed it more regularly than the olm suggested just to keep it running the way I wanted. For the first 25000km it drank it too. I topped up the Ghibli at about 2000km with 75mls and then 125mls at about 4000km and added no more. I will run this in a Fiat 500 1.4 as well as a modified Ford XR8 Ute when it is time and see how it goes. The 5w/40 version that I am using seems to be a great oil so far and is relatively good value here compared to Mobil 1 prices.

according to uoas done the shell oils seem to shear down real fast.
anyone else had this issue?

Originally Posted By: slybunda

It would be good if you could provide some links to UOA examples of Ultra vs other full synthetics.
Oddly enough I've never noticed much difference between the rates at which different full synthetics of the same SAE group sheared.

My last run of Ultra 5w40 for 17K km in my 1.9 TDI finished up with the 100c viscosity at 12.52 cSt, which was the highest figure I've had so far.

Last edited:
I tried some and the motor didn't blow up so it must keep the parts separated.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: slybunda

It would be good if you could provide some links to UOA examples of Ultra vs other full synthetics.
Oddly enough I've never noticed much difference between the rates at which different full synthetics of the same SAE group sheared.

My last run of Ultra 5w40 for 17K km in my 1.9 TDI finished up with the 100c viscosity at 12.52 cSt, which was the highest figure I've had so far.

What was diesel dilution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back