Does this tail pipe pic tell you anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this tailpipe pic tell you anything about the health of the engine? It's the 6.0L Escalade in my signature.

20160528_1237260_zpspqjxkcma.jpg

not really

Mufflers do rust over time. The inside of an engine typically doesn't because of all the oil going thru it and not being open to the elements.

Not at all,

also some cars are naturally sooty

subaru, honda accord

and some are spotless

ford focus.

It tell me this:if soot isn't going in the exhaust .then it stay in the engine and this means soot is being powder coated where it can inside the engine .

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
It tell me this:if soot isn't going in the exhaust .then it stay in the engine and this means soot is being powder coated where it can inside the engine .

You have no idea what your talking about, The Catalytic Converter takes care of what little soot a gas engine creates.....

To the OP, Your LQ9 6.0L will probably outlive the truck it powers.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: yvon_la

You have no idea what your talking about, The Catalytic Converter takes care of what little soot a gas engine creates.....

To the OP, Your LQ9 6.0L will probably outlive the truck it powers.
+1

Seems to be double-walled? Wonder why.

Tells me I have a relatively sooty, unsophisticated exhaust system. But I knew that.

Mine has some cement and melted beer can inside it though, which is some comfort.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Are you running on E85?

That's CLEAN!

The manual says 91 octane or better so I've been running premium. That would really be nice if I could. Consumes 1/2 qt oil during the OLM OCI which is +-6000

Only thing it tells me is that it's not washed enough, amazing what a little soap and water will accomplish.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Only thing it tells me is that it's not washed enough, amazing what a little soap and water will accomplish.
lol.gif

I never thought to wash the inside of the tailpipe. You actually do that?

Looks about the same as my Expedition:

tailpipe01.jpg

It gets Shell or Esso (usually Shell) 87. Has about 185,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back