Mobil 1 75w90 LS for 2010 Camaro SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone on the board have any experience with the Mobil 1 75w90 LS rear gear oil? Specifically was a friction modifier needed on top of the additive already present in it? I'm looking to change out the fluid in my Camaro SS rear end but want to know if I need the modifier as well.

I've seen some other posts about it and it seems like it's a car by car basis. Some people needed it. Some didn't. But these were older threads.

Any info would be helpful.

Your owners manual recommends P/N 89021677, which is a synthetic 75W90, with friction modifier P/N 88900330.

P/N 89021677 has been superseded by P/N 88900401.

Personally, I would use 88900401 with 88900330.

If you're set on Mobil 1, I would add the faction modifier. Say you skip it and develop some type of chatter. Now you get the fun project of extracting enough fluid to add the modifier or dumping the entire diff and refilling. Adding it isn't going to hurt anything (other than the cost) and you may save yourself a headache down the road.

I would ASSume they are using a torsen like the 4th gen's had... but maybe not. I know GM uses Eaton posi's (clutch type) in a lot of vehicles, too.

Interesting note. Since I am about to install an eaton posi I have been talking to their tech support a bit. Despite the literature which accompanied my posi Eaton clearly informed me pretty much any 80w90, 75w90 or 75w140 is fine for their posi. They also STRONGLY advised adding 4oz of any friction modifier you choose, regardless of whether your gear oil states it already has FM added.

Originally Posted By: AIRJAC3
Anyone on the board have any experience with the Mobil 1 75w90 LS rear gear oil? Specifically was a friction modifier needed on top of the additive already present in it? I'm looking to change out the fluid in my Camaro SS rear end but want to know if I need the modifier as well.

I've seen some other posts about it and it seems like it's a car by car basis. Some people needed it. Some didn't. But these were older threads.

Any info would be helpful.

If this is a pre-owned vehicle or one with more than run-in mileage, it would be on a car-by-car basis.

Refill the vehicle's diffy with the Mobil 1 LS fluid and then listen closely for any chattering on Figure 8 turns.

If no chattering, no extra FM needed.

If chattering occurs, add only 1 ounce of FM additive at a time until the chattering disappears.

Most people tend to over treat their diffys using FM additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
2010 Camaro uses an AAM TracRite PC limited slip. PC = Plate Clutch

Thanks, I guess it is AAM's answer to the Ford Trac Loc?

Originally Posted By: buck91
Interesting note. Since I am about to install an eaton posi I have been talking to their tech support a bit. Despite the literature which accompanied my posi Eaton clearly informed me pretty much any 80w90, 75w90 or 75w140 is fine for their posi.

Yes, I have been using a synthetic based gear oil for 13 of the last 15 years mine has been in this car (and for ~165K miles), with NO problems whatsoever.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back