Which butter do you all use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butter can be persnickety, just like which motor oil is "best".

I use whatever is on sale and stock up.
I have read where European style is the "best". Then grass fed is even better.
For grins I am getting some high end butter just to see what happens in a batch of cookies.

When taste matters, pretty much any unsalted butter.

When it doesn't matter, Land o Lakes has a light butter with canola oil with 30% fewer calories. Still tastes pretty good, but less likely to make me fat.

It's funny that you bring this up, because I just dealt with this today. After having vacationed in Europe last summer, I've come to conclude that their butter is way better. So is their coffee and most other food, but that's a whole other topic. I bought some European style butter today and used it in some mashed potatoes, and it tasted excellent. The smell of the butter is also quite different. Can't wait to try it on toast, eggs, etc.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
It's funny that you bring this up, because I just dealt with this today. After having vacationed in Europe last summer, I've come to conclude that their butter is way better. So is their coffee and most other food, but that's a whole other topic. I bought some European style butter today and used it in some mashed potatoes, and it tasted excellent. The smell of the butter is also quite different. Can't wait to try it on toast, eggs, etc.

Interesting! Now I need to try it! The European has a higher fat content.
This might be fun.

The European butter tends to be grass fed. Grass fed beef and milk has a lot more taste. I like the Kerrygold butter. But I only use it if I'm spreading it on pancakes, rolls, biscuits, etc. For cooking I use cheaper butter on sale.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The European butter tends to be grass fed. Grass fed beef and milk has a lot more taste. I like the Kerrygold butter. But I only use it if I'm spreading it on pancakes, rolls, biscuits, etc. For cooking I use cheaper butter on sale.

I saw that today shopping.
I just emailed a lady on a small farm near where we are traveling. They have grass fed butter by Jersey cows.

Originally Posted By: paulri
When taste matters, pretty much any unsalted butter.

When it doesn't matter, Land o Lakes has a light butter with canola oil with 30% fewer calories. Still tastes pretty good, but less likely to make me fat.
Why not just use less butter if you want fewer calories? A better option than using butter with industrially produced oil.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

I just emailed a lady on a small farm near where we are traveling. They have grass fed butter by Jersey cows.
You're in business!!

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

You're in business!!

She emailed me back. She is checking if any will be available they next few days.
this is the site I used to find it.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/where-find-butter-from-grassfed-cows/

I also use Kerrygold for spreading, and I use the Wegmans (grocery store) house brand for baking.

I have no problem with margarine or vegetable oils, but each item should be assessed individually for nutritional value. Nothing is good or bad because it's natural or synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I also use Kerrygold for spreading, and I use the Wegmans (grocery store) house brand for baking.

I have no problem with margarine or vegetable oils, but each item should be assessed individually for nutritional value. Nothing is good or bad because it's natural or synthetic.
That's just not true. Natural grass fed butter is simply better for you than industrial butter products. Better ratio of Omega 3 to 6. More nutrients all around. Conventional butter is also ahead of butter products, just not as far in front. More taste, more nutrition. An easy choice.

My wife went to college when the kids were both in school, took some biology and chemistry. She likes to say margarine in one molecule away from being plastic.

Can't find grass fed in Kentucky, don't ever recall seeing it in MN. I'd get it if I saw it. I try to go for the cruelty free type stuff, IE no force fed grains, cage free, etc.

I just get organic, this last time I saw Anchor New Zealand butter and I remember I really liked that when I had it at a restaurant on vacation once, so I went for it. Not disappointed in the slightest. It's very good.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Can't find grass fed in Kentucky, don't ever recall seeing it in MN. I'd get it if I saw it. I try to go for the cruelty free type stuff, IE no force fed grains, cage free, etc.

I just get organic, this last time I saw Anchor New Zealand butter and I remember I really liked that when I had it at a restaurant on vacation once, so I went for it. Not disappointed in the slightest. It's very good.
OT. It's kinda odd that people can't find grass fed products in a state that uses a pasture grass as the state motto. I guess there are a bunch of silly state mottoes these days.

That's just not true. Natural grass fed butter is simply better for you than industrial butter products. Better ratio of Omega 3 to 6. More nutrients all around. Conventional butter is also ahead of butter products, just not as far in front. More taste, more nutrition. An easy choice.

The point I made earlier is that something isn't better or worse because it is natural or synthetic. The appeal to nature fallacy is just that.

Butter may be better than a specific vegetable oil in one or more category of nutrition, but not because it's natural.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor

My wife went to college when the kids were both in school, took some biology and chemistry. She likes to say margarine in one molecule away from being plastic.

Again, everything has to be assessed based on its individual characteristics. Items having similar molecular compounds aren't any indication of how healthy they are.

H2O - water
CH2O - formaldehyde
H2O2 - hydrogen peroxide

I prefer the taste of Kerrygold, but vegetable oils have their place too.

If you keep this to common "store-bought" butter there is one BIG thing to remember.
Unsalted butter is always fresher than salted. The industry will take back aging unsalted butter and salt it and resell it, in all likelihood, industrially.

ERGO, if a rich, fresh taste is what you want any store's unsalted butter is ahead of the game and when price is factored in, unsalted butter might be enough.

I'm all for any product you want to buy. Local churned for $25/pound (hurray for the Vermont frame of mind).
Danish, Irish, Canadian (I just made that one up).

Buy what you like but don't delude yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back