0W-40 for 223k mile 95 Mercedes E320?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be using either M1 or Castrol 0W-40 in my 1995 E320 / W124 and M104 engine with 223k miles on it?

First of all I'm already set on using this weight as it will simplify my oil changes between this car and my 2014 VW GLI. Second, I'm asking because some people in an MB forum recommend Delo 15W-40 for this relatively old engine.

The engine does not consume oil since I've had the car in January 2016. I've put around 2000 miles on it already and will most likely see 5000 miles per year. I also saw in the original maintenance booklet that it was filled with 20W-50 from the dealer here in Hawaii. Records stopped on 2009. The car runs great by the way. Wiring harness has been changed but I have no record if the infamous head gasket leak was resolved already. I'm not loosing coolant by the way, and it looks clean.

What are your suggestions?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great choice. I think the key is that if something happens, like seepage, that you fix it. If there was something that came about from a change to syn, it was just hidden/cloaked.

I love the w124. Good luck!

The Owner's Manual for any MB of that vintage had a huge selection of viscosities based on temperature.

Here's a discussion on that topic: http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/277763-thicker-oil-m104.html

148056d1232669008-thicker-oil-m104-vis_chart_2007_zpsoiozzmny.jpg

That engine, I think, requires MB Spec 229.3/229.5.
The Mobil Site says to use the new M1 FS X2 5W-50, or second choice is M1 FS 0W-40. You are OK if you use the new versions of those, since they are the new Full SAPS M1 oils. (I have two MB cars with same spec requirement).
For Castrol, they say to use their 5W-40 A3/B4, which is MB 229.3 compliant.
If you are using one of the MB-compliant versions above, you should be OK.
I would use the M1 5W-50 in Hawaii.
I would not try to use a one-oil-fits-all version. Having two types of oil is no big deal. Get the one that MB certifies for the car.
For example, I have to have Full SAPS for 2 old MB cars, Low SAPS for the diesel, and 5W-30 for the Ford. Breaks up the boredom!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Is there any reason why I shouldn't be using either M1 or Castrol 0W-40 in my 1995 E320 / W124 and M104 engine with 223k miles on it?

What are your suggestions?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
What did they use in the 2000's prior to records stopping?

I'm surprised they speced 20W50 at some point.

The dealer put 20W-50 from the very first oil changes until 2000.

Nothing wrong with a 20W50 in your climate. See the chart.

But to keep it simple, to keep it reasonable in price, and to use an MB Spec oil, go with the M1 0W40 or the Castrol, as suggested. Both are about $24 for a jug at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Both are about $24 for a jug at Walmart.

Just curious if it's also $24 in Hawaii... maybe the OP could verify?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Right now both M1 and Castrol are on Rollback at $26. Regular is $29 per jug and $8 per quart.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Right now both M1 and Castrol are on Rollback at $26. Regular is $29 per jug and $8 per quart.

M1 is $26/jug and Castrol $23/jug at my local WM.

What is wrong with running the 20W-50? The car is 21 years old. Its longevity has proven itself.

What is wrong with conventional 10W30 ? It is in the chart and temperature in Hawaii never drops below 50-55F(may be one or two days in a decade).

I'd go with the 0w40. Nothing wrong with it at all, even though it doesn't get cold enough to "need" it. Both M1 and Castrol 0w40 are excellent oils, you really can't go wrong with them.

Obviously 20w50 works OK, but given that it never really gets very hot in Hawaii, either, its massive overkill. A 40- or even 30- weight would be much more appropriate for such an extremely mild climate. So again, 0w40 wins.

I run Castrol Edge 0-40 in our 1989 300E with the M103 engine very successfully, I also run it in our 1998 Mercedes S420, so the choice of 0W40 tends to uncomplicate our buying choices. I wait until wither Walmart or Amazon puts it on sale, and stock up.

I have recently picked up a W140 with the same engine.
When I first bought it the service records showed that it had received 10W30 at the local Toyota dealership, and they kindly WAY overfilled it which is a big no no on these engines, and it's not recommended to fill them past the halfway point between full and low on the dipstick.
I could hear the lifters slightly after a long hot run with the 30 weight so I wanted something slightly thicker.
I believe it was MB229.1 these originally specced which is an old certification now but I have found it on a few stuff. I found big 6L bottles of Valvoline Semi 15W40 that meets MB229.1 for $14 so that's what I'm currently using and it definitely helped by making the engine sound and feel brand new.
It's filled just over halfway on the dipstick, and I retorqued the head bolts last week to try prevent the infamous headgasket oil leak, and it helped reduced the leak to almost nothing (maybe a couple of drips overnight).

I am curious to try Castrol GTX High Mileage 15w50 when it goes on sale next as I'm hoping it will restore the seals a bit and reduce the leak further still.

Back