Larger Oil Filter for 2006 Highlander 2.4 Four Cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to Toyota Land, and I'm wondering what is the larger oil filter that matches up to the gasket size of the small motorcycle-sized filter now specified. I'm wishing to use the largest Pure One filter that fits on this car.

I'll be that guy to say that there's no need to worry about smaller oil filters because they'll still likely have filtering capability even after manufacturer's recommended service interval. If you decide to do your own homework, be sure to pay attention to the bypass rating of the larger filter and match it to the specs of the OEM or recommended ones.

The filter you want in Purolator is the PL 14477 which is also the 4 cyl Camry filter after 2001. It's a bit taller. Toyota made it an OEM part for 4 cylinder Camrys back to the 90s.

For Toyota, a lot of us are using PH3600 size filter.
There are a lot of them available like Fram Ultraguard XG3600, Mobil M1-209, Napa Platinum 41516, etc. This is a taller filter but diameter is close to the stock filter and the gasket is about 1 mm larger than stock filter but fit the base nicely.

I have used this size ever since I know about it in my current Sienna and sold Camrys.

There is one that is bigger diameter but it is too big at least on my 2004 Sienna.

Originally Posted By: Samzone
I'm new to Toyota Land, and I'm wondering what is the larger oil filter that matches up to the gasket size of the small motorcycle-sized filter now specified. I'm wishing to use the largest Pure One filter that fits on this car.

LOL
No offense...But
Why do you think you think need a bigger filter?
Do you know something that the Toyota engineers and designers (Ya know, founded in 1937 and is the 13th largest company in the world) don't know?
My son's Sentra 2.0 I4 uses a filter almost the same size as my Frontier's 4.0 V6 and I lose no sleep.
Sometimes...cough cough...bigger isn't better! LOL

cool.gif
Filtration forum
cool.gif

If it calls for a ph3600 or ph3614 size filter, a ph8a filter will fit the threads and base and is huge.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968

LOL
No offense...But
Why do you think you think need a bigger filter?
Do you know something that the Toyota engineers and designers (Ya know, founded in 1937 and is the 13th largest company in the world) don't know?
My son's Sentra 2.0 I4 uses a filter almost the same size as my Frontier's 4.0 V6 and I lose no sleep.
Sometimes...cough cough...bigger isn't better! LOL

The V8 in the Nissan Titan also uses a Purolator 14610 or 14612 or equivalent. I was sure that with all the moving parts a DOHC V8 has, that it would make a larger filter a necessity.

Anyway, a Fram 3600 or equivalent will fit. When my mother had a car that used that filter(2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7), I would buy a Motorcraft FL400.

If you have the space and the filter is located in a convenient location... I think the 3600 is a good size. I am using it in many of my Toyota vehicles.

I believe your particular filter on the 2.4L is located at an angle and I am not 100% sure you have the space for the 3600.

The PH8A is most likely too big for the engine compartment of many 4-cyl Toyota products.

Any meaningful increase in media surface area reduces the pressure drop across the media, allows more entrapment area; and with larger container increases total oil capacity.

Some oversized filter are only a slight increase, say another cup full. That's not much. But I regularly run 2 qt spin-ons and that is a significant increase in a 4 qt system that originally called for shorty filter. So it depends on how big an "Oversize" you can fit...

The 3600 series is what I have to run on my Saab as I could only go longer, not bigger around. But sometimes it's the opposite. It all depends on the space around it ...

I'm new to Toyota Land, and I'm wondering what is the larger oil filter that matches up to the gasket size of the small motorcycle-sized filter now specified.

I don't generally jump up and down that one should oversize, but I have done so on occasion. A good resource would be the Hastings and Baldwin sites. They actually list upsize (and smaller) filters for a given part number. To me, that's much preferable than cross referencing to a cross reference, and so forth.

Some filters are big on the outside and have less media because they waste a lot of space in the length and make the center tube huge to save on media. The only way to tell is spend a few bucks and cut some new filters open to compare media. The Toyota brand smaller filter probably has more media than many of the larger sizes from other makers.

I'm wishing to use the largest Pure One filter that fits on this car.

After a lot of study, this is basically what I do. The PureOne offers a lot of performance and quality for the money. There are basically three ways to get a PureOne - Bosch Premium, PureOne, and Motorcraft "S" series. Because Toyota was clever about ditching metric for their oil filter stud and going 3/4-16, you have huge options.

A few ideas:

1) First, I'd just go up to the V6 filter size that Toyota specs for many 3.0 to 4.0L applications, and is also used on smaller V8s from many makers. This is equivalent to the "3614" (Fram) size: MC FL-910S, Bosch 3330, PL10241. Should fit no problem on your car.

2) Next size is the "3600" size. These are typically used on larger V8s and "oversize" of our V6 car and what I have often used: MC FL-400S, Bosch 3422, PL20195. This may be too large but you can check.

3) trying to go any larger than this is probably not going to have clearance at the dome end.

4) Be aware, there have been experiences lately of the MC line of filters leaking down. I'm not sure of your engine's filter mounting, but A LOT of Toyota's have the filter base-down and the MC ones are not always handling it. Here's my experience, and in it are links to threads from others with the same experience with the 910s and 400s.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4078731/Motorcraft_FL-400s_that_leaked

I stocked up on some CQ Premium "blues" on sale for her car and will use them a year or two. Byt then hopefully this issue will get fixed, then I'll go back to MC filters on the Lexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back