Ultra Power oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of these. Does anyone know anything about them? Not much on the interweb... Thanks

Either ecores, or cheap Chinese [censored].

If it's Chinese, most likely the same as Driveworks, Pronto, Prime Guard, etc.

I have never had any issues with a chinese made filter. I have tried Driveworks, Pronto and Prime Guard with great success. In fact, I have a handful of the Pronto filters in my stash now. I have used them for 6K and they have held up great. I cut open and inspect every filter I remove. Cheers Thanks

Got these Ultra Power filters delivered today from Rock Auto and they are actually CarQuest filters. Not sure what the deal is but they have an Ultra Power sticker on the packaging but they are CQ filters. Not bad for $1.70 per filter with shipping included.

Just ordered some for my fleet.

Seems like Rock Auto has Carquest blues and reds for great prices.

Sold under the Ultrapower name.

I will post some photos when they arrive.

best regards,

Scott

Last edited:
These Ultra Power filters have a Wix part number and show Carquest filters for the picture. $1.40 for our Chevys and it doesn't show one for the Honda. Seems like a good buy.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
These Ultra Power filters have a Wix part number and show Carquest filters for the picture. $1.40 for our Chevys and it doesn't show one for the Honda. Seems like a good buy.

Keep in mind that CQ retained the Wix numbering system even though CQ filters are made by Fram now.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Keep in mind that CQ retained the Wix numbering system even though CQ filters are made by Fram now.

I know this is a month old, but i just wanted to throw this out there. When carquest left Wix, it went to Baldwin. Unless they changed within the last few months, they are still baldwin. It is possible the cheapy reds could be fram, but i know the blues are baldwin

Quote:
..I know this is a month old, but i just wanted to throw this out there. When carquest left Wix, it went to Baldwin.....

Have not seen one Clarcor/Baldwin made CQ posted on this board.

Consistent authoritative information including but not limited to pictures of post Wix made CQ show both the Red and Blue to be Fram/(Champ)construction.

Any Baldwin made CQ would be the first posted here.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Have not seen one Clarcor/Baldwin made CQ posted on this board. Consistent authoritative information including but not limited to pictures of post Wix made CQ show both the Red and Blue to be Fram/(Champ)construction. Any Baldwin made CQ would be the first posted here.
I have some, but have not used one of them yet. I did cut one open last October from the first batch that I bought (it had a dent and some surface rust):

CarQuest Blue 84151 Made By Clarcor

^^^^ That one posted when I was away for bit from board. Be interested to see a manufacture date on that one, especially considering RA sourcing. But no doubt Baldwin as you note.

Seems to be a somewhat specialized CQ filter application even as opposed to typical Baldwin with louvered centertube. Just wondering the time frame of manufacture of who was making majority CQ applications at that point. There was one post from last year showing a Canada sourced CQ made by Baldwin. Most red/blue posted here for US were Wix made.

Thanks for the pics.

Be interested to see a manufacture date on that one, especially considering RA sourcing. But no doubt Baldwin as you note.
Look a little deeper in that other post you will see the manufacturing date as well as the date code matrix.

Got it, relatively new. So based on that application are you saying that majority CQ were Baldwin before going to Fram? Or just that application?

And seems a recent posting by you of a similar application RA CQ Blue showed it to still be Wix made.

Got it, relatively new. So based on that application are you saying that majority CQ were Baldwin before going to Fram? Or just that application? And seems a recent posting by you of a similar application RA CQ Blue showed it to still be Wix made.
They are both. I have about an equal number of Affinia (WIX) and Clarcor (Baldwin) which were ordered from Rock Auto starting in October 2015 until now. The filter date codes range from January 2015 until December 2015 so they are all fairly new.

So that application is a combination of two manufacturers, Baldwin, Wix. Neither of those in my observation is the predominate manufacturer of majority CQ blue and red now.

Two examples showing the change over from Wix to Fram are linked. The first show a Fram made CQ red which was made before said Baldwin made CQ. So the change over to Fram made had been already been made in many/most CQs. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4002405/Re:_New_CarQuest_R85372-A43301

The next shows the previous Wix made CQ while no date code it's new 2013. A google search will also show Wix made red from 2014. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3033559

Not as many CQ blue posted but another of the previous Wix made posted in link. A google search will show a youtube showing a comparison of the Wix made CQ blue to a Wix. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3750427/Carquest_Blue_85040_Cut_Open

To amend my response to the new poster mentioning the Baldwin made CQ. While it appears there are some select CQ applications that were/are Baldwin made, the majority CQ red/blue went from Wix made to Fram made not long after AAP acquired CQ. The Fram promotional youtube confirms this at 5:31 of the video titled "CARQUEST Red and Blue Oil Filters by Champion Labratories"

Originally Posted By: Skullzaflare

I know this is a month old, but i just wanted to throw this out there. When carquest left Wix, it went to Baldwin. Unless they changed within the last few months, they are still baldwin. It is possible the cheapy reds could be fram, but i know the blues are baldwin

The HD filters are made by Baldwin, like the Ford Powerstroke.

The standard passenger car filters have been made by Fram since 2013 when AAP bought out CQ.

The HD filters are made by Baldwin and WIX, like the Ford Powerstroke.
Corrected it for you
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Got it, relatively new. So based on that application are you saying that majority CQ were Baldwin before going to Fram? Or just that application? And seems a recent posting by you of a similar application RA CQ Blue showed it to still be Wix made.
They are both. I have about an equal number of Affinia (WIX) and Clarcor (Baldwin) which were ordered from Rock Auto starting in October 2015 until now. The filter date codes range from January 2015 until December 2015 so they are all fairly new.
Sayjac - I received my other order from RA today (and I am good for a long time, so no more orders for me--but at $4.57 each to the door, I could not pass them up) and it was 9 Clarcor and 1 WIX. The WIX was old (April 2013), but in perfect condition so it must have been stored well. The Clarcors were all 2015 mostly June/July and all shrink-wrapped. I have been happy with them and the pricing so no regrets on my part.

0GRcJa.jpg

ca827n.jpg

j3BEli.jpg

MfPQDT.jpg

rEksWU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back