I hate surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I offer to help a friend out with his first oil change on his well used
2003 F150,I put the truck on my lift and wallah . He has a drain plug from [censored]

Id say he needs a new pan

W.T.F........

+1 on the new pan. Hopefully he isn't overdue for an oil change. At least you'll be able to see the condition of the bottom of the engine once you get the pan off.

Hopefully the pan isn't a bear to remove.

Does it say "CHINA" on that macgiverd plug?

Last edited:
Is that the new Fumoto self draining variety ?

One of my worst moments was trying to unscrew a drain plug, getting no where, and finding it spinning in silastic...

What engine is that? That is nuts!

Have your friend ask the previous owner-just to DATE the repair.

Do a dipstick tube suck-out NOW because the oil is likely ancient. Who knows, it might be too thick to withdraw.

Don't let him wait 4-10 weeks to get a pan.

I can't remember what the industry calls them, but they are the last ditch for when the drain plug threads are just too far gone and are generally installed at quick lubes.

They are a butterfly type design and normally they work well. Should be temporary, rarely are.

65240-007.jpg

This one obviously had some leaking problems to the used some Permatex Black and hoped for the best.

That's a bubba'd up job right there. I can only imagine that was a "forgotten" mention from the previous owner when it was sold.

What a mess that is. Don't believe I have ever seen anything quite like that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back