Electrical shock at the grocery store

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever get zapped by those carts ? Ouch !
eek1.gif

No, but every time I go to the Safeway on Camelback it seems the wheels lock up as soon as I push the cart in to the store.

Yeah I'm somewhat prone to static buildup. If the air is relatively dry the chance of getting static shock for me is higher. Some types of clothing with fleece seem to be a bit more prone to static buildup. I find that dry hands can have higher occurrence of getting zapped so putting lotion on hands does help a bit. I've always gotten into the habit to touch the car before grabbing the fuel pump in case there is any discharge.

I bought one of those static discharge keychain things online for fun and it works. You just touch the surface with it and it flashes to indicate discharge. Basically has a small bulb inside it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
No, but every time I go to the Safeway on Camelback it seems the wheels lock up as soon as I push the cart in to the store.
Just like the roads on Camelback, I try to avoid it. The traffic on it is terrible.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just like the roads on Camelback, I try to avoid it. The traffic on it is terrible.

I stay east of the 51
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Static electricity isn't the problem with carts. It's the bugs you can pick up.

Builds the immune system!

I never get zapped at the grocery store. But every time I get out of the Focus I get a good pop

The only time I've ever been shocked in a grocery store involved an ungrounded dairy case on a humid day.
This bodega had cardboard before the case to trap drips and it served to facilitate grounding.
Reach for milk-get zapped. FUN!

I once got my hand sliced open by a piece of chrome plating that was peeling from the edge of a cart. These were brand new carts and several had peeling chrome. I didn't even notice it (who would?), grabbed a cart and OUCH. It felt like an electric shock, but then I saw the blood. The store paid my doctor bill and sent me a gift card - possibly as thanks for not suing them.

This is a West Coast problems thread lol.

Too much humidity here in the south for static except in the winters.

I used to work out in LV a lot and I'd dry up like a prune. Cracked knuckle skin, nose bleeds, ashy elbows. The whole works.

No static here, I just get lucky and get the cart with flat spots on the wheels and go through out the store making that, thump, thump thump sound.

Never gotten a shock in the grocery store. Have had problems with almost getting run over by folks using the battery powered carts. But that is another story.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
No static here, I just get lucky and get the cart with flat spots on the wheels and go through out the store making that, thump, thump thump sound.

I thought they all were supposed to do that? Or is it just WM?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I stay east of the 51
grin.gif

Lol me too, I'm over at my grandparents house all the time, they live just North of 22nd St & Indian School. I go to that Discount Tire on Camelback, what a nightmare.

Around here, if you go to a place like WM to do your grocery shopping, you can easily get shocked, but I'm pretty sure it's not electricity.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
WinCo here.my wife hates shopping there because she gets zapped

Bless Her! I get zapped at WinCo too! Tell your Wife I said "Thank you" for saving my sanity!
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back