Rock auto wix specials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up four for each of our two cars they had supply. Yes, they are high-quality Wix filters. I installed one in a car this morning and will run it 7,500 miles with Mobil 1.

Yes, those are most likely the old-stock Wix CQ's.

The Ultra Power listigns with teh CQ part numbers are most likely the Fram CQ's

Are the fram cq's a good filter? Ive heard they are champ's What is an equivalent filter to them?
First oil change on my ram 1500 is coming up soon, and Im also ordering some cabin filters for it too.

Last edited:
Just watched the videoposted elsewhere. the champ blues are 99%efficient at 20 microns but just before this he says most damaged is caused by particles that are between 10 and 20 microns, so what filter catches down to 10 microns....? Any suggestions? Ive put 4000 mles on my hemi in 4 mnths, but soon my usage will go down to just a few hundred miles a month when m daughter starts driving herself to school. I plan on using eiher PYB, or Pennzoil p!atinum if I catch it on sale, and doing changes every 5000 miles or less.

Originally Posted By: HankMcMauser
Are the fram cq's a good filter? Ive heard they are champ's What is an equivalent filter to them?
First oil change on my ram 1500 is coming up soon, and Im also ordering some cabin filters for it too.

Yes, the Fram CQ's are very very good. The Red is a fantastic filter, easily the best cheap filter around, and it does have metal end caps. Very close to, if not the same as, the pre-ecore AC Delco classics.

The CQ Blue is better than anything Wix makes. Although Motorking said it's not just a reboxed M1, it's very close, and still a great filter. Overpriced at regular AAP retail, they became a bargain when using AAP's promo codes, and the Rock Auto clearance makes them a good buy. But don't buy more than you can use in a few years.

Now if only Fram would sell these under their own name! Because they are far better than the OCOD and TG!

Just watched the videoposted elsewhere. the champ blues are 99%efficient at 20 microns but just before this he says most damaged is caused by particles that are between 10 and 20 microns, so what filter catches down to 10 microns....? Any suggestions? Ive put 4000 mles on my hemi in 4 mnths, but soon my usage will go down to just a few hundred miles a month when m daughter starts driving herself to school. I plan on using eiher PYB, or Pennzoil p!atinum if I catch it on sale, and doing changes every 5000 miles or less.

MicroGreen.......

A) There is a "rule of thumb" about estimating efficiency at smaller sizes based on a given Beta ratio. Unfortunately I don't know it and can't find it. BUT - I recall that anything 99% or better at 20 was going to theoretically be very good down to the sizes that matter.

B) PP is $23 everyday for 5 qts. @ Walmart. Penn. offers a $12 rebate on that. So it's $11. I ran the 10w-30 PP (regular, not the HM) last oci in our Lexus V6. Consumption was up slightly (24 ozs in 7.5k miles vs. normally 16). I switched it out for M1 10w-30 High Mileage and the engine is noticeably smoother. Really likes the higher ZDDP and moly/boron in the M1 I think. Same story w/my SUV (both are HM vehicles).

Some experiences with the rock auto "wix" filters.

None of them actually say wix on the box.

My last batch said federated, which is a chain of auto parts stores in the midwest.

Filters all worked fine, but they seemed lower quality than supertech from walmart.

Also the spin on filter for my matrix is a little smaller than the OEM denso filter, so much so that my filter wrench will not fit on it. I was ticked off.

Next time I'll just buy the frams or the supertech from the walmart because I can take a look at the item, instead of buying the mystery box.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

A) There is a "rule of thumb" about estimating efficiency at smaller sizes based on a given Beta ratio. Unfortunately I don't know it and can't find it. BUT - I recall that anything 99% or better at 20 was going to theoretically be very good down to the sizes that matter.

This is the 'rule of thumb' ... and the efficiency curve is dependent on the media type. The curves show the 'typical' efficiency of the three types of media on the market today. A full synthetic filter is typically higher efficiency at 20 microns, and will catch more of the smaller particles than the other media types.

Particle size on the x-axis, and filter efficiency on the y-axis.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Just watched the videoposted elsewhere. the champ blues are 99%efficient at 20 microns but just before this he says most damaged is caused by particles that are between 10 and 20 microns, so what filter catches down to 10 microns....? Any suggestions?

MicroGreen.......

Where are you getting efficiency numbers for the microGreen? Or did you just pull that suggestion out of a dark cavity?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This is the 'rule of thumb' ...

Excellent. I had not seen that visual plotting of it.

A point that comes to mind is that Wix's beta ratios say they are 95% at 20 microns (thus on the green line), but 50% at 6ms. So that could fall between the green and red lines if you interpolate them and generally agree with the curves.

So yeah, that is the type of information that made me switch a while back to more efficient filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back