Opinions on this 2006 Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.
$10K is a relatively fair price. Now if you can find a 2010 for the same money or less by all means buy that. When I bought my 2002 Lincoln Continental with 22K miles in 2009 it cost me $9K. It was by far the cheapest one within 100 miles of me. CarMax wanted $10K-$13K for similar cars with 75K-125K miles!

My car translated today would suggest you can find a 2008 with 22K miles for $9K. One issue I have with my car is the FWD engine orientation. I don't think the Town Car has that issue so you'll be able to service the engine bay a lot more easily. And I don't think they have the problematic air ride suspension either. Wonderful cars. My 1997 lasted to 232K miles. My 2002 Lincoln from 22K to 70K miles needed front brakes and rotors, a left front axle due to a broken tone ring, and a new radiator due to trans cooler leak. In a way, it's almost better to find one at the 50K-70K mile point with brakes, exhaust, tires, radiator, recently replaced and only pay $4K to $6K.

The majority of these cars with under 30K miles are being advertised from $11K to $14K. So finding someone to sell you one for $8K-$9K could take some looking. I'd prefer a 1 owner, non-smokers, not driven in snow type of car. 2006 is already 10 years old. So the age factor can contribute to repairs even if the car has low miles. I'd try not to go back more than 6-8 years unless the price on the 2006 is very good and the condition blows you away. My car has depreciated another 50% from 22K to 72K miles. Worth about $4500 today.

Good luck trying to find a car like you posted for $5K-$6K. The dealers might be able to snag something like that dirt cheap on a trade-in, but the odds that you can are not very good. $5K right now will get you a 2002 with about 50K miles. A 2006 w/50K miles might run you up to $7K.

][]]&modelCode1=LINCTC&searchRad...g=0]Auto Trader

My search included all 2002-2010 Town Cars with under 45K miles and priced from $3K to $10K. Only 6 cars nationwide. All are at $7K or more. If someone can find me a 2006 Town Car with 27K miles for $5,000-$6,000, I'll sell mine and buy that one.

Autotrader doesn't even list any 2010 Lincoln Town Cars at under $18,000. I don't think people are storming the exits to sell their cars for $10K.

Continental =/= Town Car.

I'm well aware that a Continental is not a Town Car. The Town Cars actually run more money. So potentially add another $1,000 to the values I've listed. Still, their values and depreciation are quite similar. I myself prefer the more sporty sedan look of the FWD Continentals. And they handle great in snow on all season tires. Harder to find a clean Continental than a Town Car. The Town Cars look more like a limo. But I'd buy any 2000-2010 V8 Lincoln or Caddy if the price and condition were right. Once 10 years old they are all similarly priced. Primarily, you're buying the condition, not the brand or model. When new, they MSRP'd in the $38K-$40K+ range.

I don't know where these guys are getting their values from trade in on that car with no options added with 27K is 6500-8400 bucks.
Take the middle and call it $7500 trade in to dealer price not retail and its a 10K car all day long. I would go 11K if it was what I wanted and it was as clean as they claim.
You will not find a pristine 2010 with 30K on it for 10K.

][]]&modelCode1=LINCTC&searchRad...p;Log=0]Lincoln

Except I DID, about four months ago. Silver 2010 Signature with 30K, advertised at $10,999. Sold in a couple weeks. I'd have considered it if I wanted a Town Car.

(Actually, no, I would rather have grabbed the 2009 Executive with 310,000 miles for $3000.)

Now what you can probably buy for $5K-$6K and 30K miles is probably a 2006 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. And that would be a nice deal imo. I considered a 2001-2003 CV with 30K miles back in 2009 that was priced at $6K. I ended up going with the 2002 Lincoln instead....mainly because the 1997 I owned took me from 29K to 232K miles over 8 years.

How do you now that 2010 sold for $10,000? $10,999 isn't the same thing. In any case, we're comparing prices and model years without knowing the actual condition of the cars. That 2010 could have been problematic with a sloppy transmission. The OP's car could be a cream puff or have issues lurking. Most of this stuff doesn't come out until we've owned them for a couple years and learned them inside and out. That 2010 was $10,999 was probably a very good deal. That's just one car. Maybe 1 out of 100. When does the next one like that pop up within 50-100 miles of the OP's Pittsburgh, PA? All these cars look great on the initial inspection. It doesn't mean they are mechanically or electrically great.

In 2005 I bought a 24K mile loaded Grand Marquis Ultimate. Paid $8000 cash to the senior owners. Probably paid "too much" but it was the cheapest one with low miles for 75 miles. Unfortunately it got totaled in an accident when my wife was driving out of state. The insurance company paid me $8500 for it a year after I bought it.

That car looks brand new, love the color combo too. Accoring to the Carfax it is fresh inventory and personally I don't think it will last long at $11K.

I'd offer $9k hoping to end up around $10k

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Except I DID, about four months ago. Silver 2010 Signature with 30K, advertised at $10,999. Sold in a couple weeks. I'd have considered it if I wanted a Town Car.

(Actually, no, I would rather have grabbed the 2009 Executive with 310,000 miles for $3000.)

I guarantee you there was something seriously wrong with that car or its history. I would grab all those I could get at that price in pristine cond with 30K and flip them for double every day of the week.
These cars are highly sought after, its one of the most desirable used cars on the market, there is no reason to blow a nice one out for chump change.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If you get it 69GTX can assist you with any transmission fluid change questions; he knows all about it.

27.gif
Of all the transmissions to do do as a first timer he had to get one of those. That was a serious ball buster.
I couldn't figure out what was going on either until he sent a picture over, then it was clear right away.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I guarantee you there was something seriously wrong with that car or its history. I would grab all those I could get at that price in pristine cond with 30K and flip them for double every day of the week.
These cars are highly sought after, its one of the most desirable used cars on the market, there is no reason to blow a nice one out for chump change.

agreed

Up here in Canada it would have went for SERIOUS money.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If you get it 69GTX can assist you with any transmission fluid change questions; he knows all about it.

Too funny. I literally spent 1-2 hours just trying to get the darn cooler fitting disconnected for the flush. I thought I was home free after that, lol. At least these Continentals don't have a differential to service....the only plus! Now that I've done all the fluids and filters on my own, the spark plugs and drive belt will be next. The serpentine belts and pulleys on these appear to be a nightmare to access. That I will leave to my mechanic sometime this year. I was tempted to try it, but not after what I just went through with the trans filter. My confidence is shot for the time being. If Trav lived within 20 min of me I'd give it a crack.

Tire kickers will tell you your car is nearly worthless and that you can't even get near trade-in value for them. My 1999 Camaro has a NADA/KBB book value of "high" retail of approx $8800. It's "trade-in" value is down around $5K-$6K. I could find a buyer for $11K tomorrow without flinching. The price guides tend to be WAAAY off for older, very well kept, low mileage cars. The mileage premiums are a joke once you get to around 8-12 years old. I would expect that's the case for a 2006 27K mile Town Car too.

27K mile Lincoln Town Car NADA clean retail is $9400. Go find one.
127K mile Lincoln Town Car clean retail at $6950. Seems like a lot to me.

Please convince me that an extra 100,000 miles is only worth $2,450 or $245 per 10,000 miles. I know which of those 2 cars I'd pick.

I think $10,000 is a Great price for that car. That is a highly sought after car because they run forever and their reliability is off the charts. They don't have the high HP 4.6 the Continental does, it's a about 60 go less. I'd still trade in a heartbeat for the bigger car, smoother ride and literally run forever. A limo service picked me up in Kansas and he had 324,000 on the clock and the car still looked and sounded great. I was impressed.

I think $10,000 is a Great price for that car. That is a highly sought after car because they run forever and their reliability is off the charts. They don't have the high HP 4.6 the Continental does, it's a about 60 go less. I'd still trade in a heartbeat for the bigger car, smoother ride and literally run forever. A limo service picked me up in Kansas and he had 324,000 on the clock and the car still looked and sounded great. I was impressed.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Gee....I thought Honda Accords and Civics were........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back