Status
Not open for further replies.
Found via Reddit, at http://imgur.com/a/dr77t

TvmsYNp.jpg

paZwVzo.jpg

MMbtXRw.jpg

SaF3b6w.jpg

1Fe1uoc.jpg

You mean turning up the radio won't make the problem disappear?

What finally brought this to light?

Did a wheel fall off? Looks like it might have.

A university friend had a front wheel fall off a well used Plymouth Valiant. Fortunately they weren't going very fast at the time. Seems there had been a noise for quite a while.

I have absolutely NO sympathy for people who are too lazy or too stupid or too cheap to buy tools and actively engage in a preventative maintenance regime.

I had a relative who pulled over to let the bearing "cool" in his older Cutlass Ciera back in the day....when he went to drive off,he couldn't.It seized.Rule #1...never stop.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I have absolutely NO sympathy for people who are too lazy or too stupid or too cheap to buy tools and actively engage in a preventative maintenance regime.

Amen!

Originally Posted By: Olas

You mean people who ignore mechanical problems.

Not everyone can change out a wheel bearing themselves.

Well, I'm not aware of a PM schedule for FWD bearings. You wait for them to make noise, then you replace them. You do need to check periodically for split CV boots, but it's not like front wheel bearings on RWD vehicles, where those need repacking once in awhile.

Speaking of which, what did the last of the RWD vehicles do, going into the 2000's? I presume 2WD trucks use some sort of sealed bearing, but I suspect Panther chassis kept with non-sealed bearings.

I can't imagine driving on this when it was only half this bad. Heck I can't stand driving on wheel bearings once they start making noise.

Earmuffs over earplugs. "Whaddaya mean it's grinding? I can't hear it..."

Should have done the white-box Chinese bearing. Even that would have been better.

Every time I walk through a parking lot it seems 2/3 of the cars driving around are making horrible noises- belts squealing, lifters ticking, bearings growling, P/S pump whining, etc. The vehicle operator -"driver" is FAR to generous a term- is usually talking on a cell phone or stuffing their corpulent face with junk food.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
This kind of thing is what annual state inspections help prevent for unaware vehicle owners.

Not in NJ anymore. All they care about is the emissions testing.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back