Water decarbonization, does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason to suspect you have coking going on?

I've done it before, and if you spend time with it, it does work. Little bit at a time will do fine. Use a spray bottle.

Well i've been doing a lot of driving inside town lately with quite a bit of idling and when i pulled the plugs out the other day they were pretty dark, even though the carb is 1 year old and i've got it set up pretty well, all the ignition components are also only about 6 months old.
And yes i will use a spray bottle and next month when the temperatures start going up to about 30 to 35c ( 90 or sop F ) i will do it, and yes that's a good idea since i live on an island and it can get up to 80 or 85% on cloudy summer days

I would use a garden sprayer to spray a fine mist. Even better would be methanol washer fluid sprayed while under load. I have often thought about buying a wrecking yard washer bottle/pump and irrigation misting nozzle to do a hard install for cleaning/antiknock.

Worked for me.

I used an IV line into one of the many vacuum hoses, and an intermittent "tap" at idle (which MAY have been pre-ignition) went away, and the car stopped "dieseling" run-on when switched off.

A spray would probably be better though.

Pouring from a cup is asking for a bent con rod.

To state the obvious, you need distilled, deionised water, or at the least, soft water.

Scottish tap water would probably be OK but its far too hard (probably artesian) here.

I used air conditioning condensate, which in the summer is available in huge quantities for free.

It works but you have to remember to go for a long drive afterwards, or even better change your oil & filter.

I like to use a football needle jammed into the end of a suitable sized vacuum line to restrict the amount of water being ingested.

I would use Techron fuel additive as per its directions. Its designed for the purpose you mention.

Have you shoved a endoscope down the spark plug holes or pulled a head to know you have carbon deposits?

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Use a cheap .99 squirt gun and get somebody to man gas peddle. Driving in 100 % humidity works too if its humid enough.

If driving in 100% humidity removed carbon then nobody who lives anywhere where it ever rains would have carbon in their engine.

Oh it sure does work. Ever see a cylinder where there was a cracked head or gasket leaking coolant into it?

I have done it on my old small block Chevy. I adjusted he idle screw on the carb so it was idling about 1500 rpm and just misted it through the old rochester carb. If the engine starts to bog like it wants to die....stop and let it recover.

Your car may be a perfect candidate for a bubbler setup. I don't buy the MPG improvement but I can see the benefit of having moist air going into the engine.
Ideally you would use a ported vacuum source with an inline temperature operated switch. I messed around with one years ago on a old car and it did clean the combustion chambers of all carbon.
Keep in mind while excess carbon is a bad thing a little carbon on the piston heads is a good thing, it helps protect the piston. If you like to tinker this will give you some idea on how to build one.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me3.html

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Oh it sure does work. Ever see a cylinder where there was a cracked head or gasket leaking coolant into it?

Bingo!

An Italian tune up does wonders too, especially on a warmed up engine. I never have carbon buildup problems!
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back