Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for 2011 TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 2011 Jetta TDI that has been showing increased Iron levels over the last few oil changes. The car is 5yr old with 44k on the odometer and out of warranty. Up until now I have been using the 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP as it is the VW "approved" oil. But with the increasing Iron levels several people have suggested I use the Mobil 5w-40 TD as it might provide better protection. In my research I found the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 which seems to be more "DPF Friendly" than the regular Mobil 5w-40.

Does anyone have any feedback/experience on using this oil in a newer TDI, specifically as it relates to reduced metals levels?

Originally Posted By: ruleof72
Hi,

I have a 2011 Jetta TDI that has been showing increased Iron levels over the last few oil changes. The car is 5yr old with 44k on the odometer and out of warranty. Up until now I have been using the 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP as it is the VW "approved" oil. But with the increasing Iron levels several people have suggested I use the Mobil 5w-40 TD as it might provide better protection. In my research I found the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 which seems to be more "DPF Friendly" than the regular Mobil 5w-40.

Does anyone have any feedback/experience on using this oil in a newer TDI, specifically as it relates to reduced metals levels?

Iron in VW is nothing new. Does it show more then usual compare to other UOA?
I just purchased in NAPA like 25qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST. Sulfated Ash is at 0.76 compare to 0.6 in M1 5W30 ESP.
Actually Valvoline is pretty transparent what is in:
Valvoline PDS

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Hi,

Iron in VW is nothing new. Does it show more then usual compare to other UOA?
I just purchased in NAPA like 25qt of Valvoline 5W40 MST. Sulfated Ash is at 0.76 compare to 0.6 in M1 5W30 ESP.
Actually Valvoline is pretty transparent what is in:
Valvoline PDS

The Iron has been going up. This last test showed 115ppm, the previous one (May '15) showed 92ppm and the one prior to that (May '14) showed 86ppm. The most recent OCI was 7k miles while the prior two were 10k and 9k. So it looks like the Iron is increasing even with fewer miles.

I'll check out the Valvoline as another option.

Be careful about that M1 Delvac ESP and VW TDI DPF.
Sulfated Ash is at 1. That is pretty high. It is DPF "friendly" but that is truck oil, and I am not sure whether there are different requirements when it comes to DPF. Truck have more space, so DPF can be engineered differently to allow more SA.
I would stay with 5W40 oils that are made for cars. Valvoline 5W40, Motul X-Clean 5W40, Pentosin 5W40.

I went ahead and ordered some of the Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-40 from NAPA. With their "Reserve Online" sale I was able to get it for $4.99/quart instead of the $9.00 normal price. We'll see how it performs and adjust again if needed next year.

I went ahead and ordered some of the Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-40 from NAPA. With their "Reserve Online" sale I was able to get it for $4.99/quart instead of the $9.00 normal price. We'll see how it performs and adjust again if needed next year.

I will put Valvoline in my BMW 35d very soon. I have 2K before I take out ESP.
Probably will do UOA.

Just a thought. A lot of the newer oils have nearly 0 zinc and Diesel engine need zinc. Maybe think of adding a zinc additive to the oil if your gonna go with valvoline to help the internals of the engine

Originally Posted By: Moutainman31282
Just a thought. A lot of the newer oils have nearly 0 zinc and Diesel engine need zinc. Maybe think of adding a zinc additive to the oil if your gonna go with valvoline to help the internals of the engine

What? No they don't. Oils still have plenty of Zinc/Phos in them (ZDDP), particularly HDEO's. While the level has been reduced a bit, other additives have been used to make up for that reduction.

High Fe/Al isn't uncommon in modern "clean diesels", my last 2 changes on my X5 35d showed Al 12/15, Cr 4 and Fe 76/89. In the middle of the current OCI I deleted emissions including EGR. I am currently using Delvac 1 LE 5W30. When that runs out I'll switch to M1 0W40 or D1 SHC 5W40.
I hope/suspect that absence of EGR will lower wear metal levels.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
High Fe/Al isn't uncommon in modern "clean diesels", my last 2 changes on my X5 35d showed Al 12/15, Cr 4 and Fe 76/89. In the middle of the current OCI I deleted emissions including EGR. I am currently using Delvac 1 LE 5W30. When that runs out I'll switch to M1 0W40 or D1 SHC 5W40.

Charlie

Who did your EGR/DPF/SCR removal?

Originally Posted By: messerchmidt
had issues with sludge using mobil1 esp 5w30 in my parents ml350 bluetec. switched to liqui moly 5w30 (I think the 4600 series), no issues.

Sludge????
What was OCI?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie

Who did your EGR/DPF/SCR removal?

Malone tuning sold me the parts. A BMW shop in Wasilla did the work.

I know OP already bought the Valvoline SynPower MST, so this may be a moot point now. But isn't the Mobil 1 ESP "Formula M" more DPF-friendly and in 5w40? Or is it no longer easy to find at retail? I thought it had similar ash as the 5w30 Mobil 1 ESP, but came in 5w40 to meet the Mercedes ("Formula M") spec. Rumor at one time was the Dodge dealers sold it at a reasonable price for the Dodge Sprinter diesels with the Mercedes oil spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back