Fram Ultra Bypass Valve Spring Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think the bypass valve spring on a Fram Ultra would weaken over time with everyday vehicle use not exceeding 15k miles over about three years?

I'm thinking severe service case of one mile trips and shut off, only to return one mile back later at least 5 times a week. So the bypass valve is getting a lot of use. There are of course longer trips once or more a week just to heat up the oil to operating temp to burn off condensation, but I'm just curious about the bypass valve's life considering severe service and drain and fills keeping the same filter in use for possibly a few years.

Jim Allen did some testing (search for it) to show that bypass events happen far less than we think. He also either visited or collaborated with someone from FRAM that stated the bypass valve is tested for over 1 million cycles. Also, consider that some filters may be in the box for nearly a year before they are sold. I do not think you have anything to worry about.

I never had an issue and I have to do that because I have a few houses and an office just a few miles apart and do that daily.

I don't know why anyone would think the Fram bypass spring would weaken, when it is such a common type of bypass spring on many makes, and no one says the others weaken. The Toyota bypass is almost identical to the Fram in design function and size. I even interchanged them on some cut open filters, and they fit perfectly on each other. The spring is quite large actually, and I can't see any reason to think it would fail.

They're tested for 1 million cycles? Very interesting!

I just stated the Fram Ultra because it's the current filter in use and is supposed to be a high quality long duration filter. So most filters within the same application type use virtually identical bypass valve springs?

Thanks for the replies
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back