Small 4 Cycle Engines, longevity tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
We run several small 4 cycle engines within extended family. As an example, a Makita leaf blower. One thing learned over the years is to unconditionally change the engine oil each month for the VERY SMALL engines. On the Makitas, the quantity is exceedingly small, just 79.8 mL (milliliters) of 10w30.

Additionally, I often drain and add just a little new oil and drain it out immediately, without starting engine. Black carbon re-colors the new oil at such times.

Several of our Makita blowers are going strong at 7 to 8 years with daily use.

00o0o_3thf3DddYJl_1200x900.jpg

Although it is a bigger engine, my 8 HP Tecumseh on my Lawn Boy Snowblower (aka Gilson) will be starting its 29th year this fall. It has many hundreds of hours on it but the oil has been religiously changed each spring (now using Mobil 1 5W-30), a new spark plug installed and storage fogging oil used over the summer. Last fall, it started on the first pull.

Sounds like your maintenance plan is working!!! My suggestion is to use Mobil 1 10/30 oil. It holds up to the heat much better than conventional oil. It also wont turn dark nearly as quick. Run the highest octane gas you can find and keep the air filter clean.

I still prefer 2-stroke power for things like leaf blowers due to weight, but that Makita unit you have looks pretty nice.

What does Makita recommend for oil and service interval?

I have a 24 year old Craftsman II push mower with a 3.5hp Tecumseh. I use only full synthetic oil in it and she still fires up on the first pull. Change the oil regularly and make sure the air filter is kept clean. If not abused, they should keep on running for years to come.

L8R,
Matt

I have the CARB compliant emissions version of that leaf blower. I have had mine since 2010 and change the oil once a year. The unit has a two stage air-filter. I clean the foam once a year and have replaced the paper element a few times which is like $5.25. This blower starts on the first pull every time. I'm still on the original spark plug. I've even started it below freezing and it fired up on the first pull. Makita recommends 10W30. I use the oil shown in the pic which I obtained at Wal-Mart. This Makita blower is assembled in the USA somewhere in Georgia. I think the engine was designed or is made by Subaru Robin. I did lose a screw on the pull cord assembly box and the other three were loose. I found a metric replacement screw at a Sears Hardware store and dabbed a little blue thread lock on the four of them.

e9eum0.jpg

993nv9.jpg

We have a few of the BHX2500CA models, also ran daily. Wonder what is different vs BHX2500. Externally they look identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back