Gas or lithium-ion powered string trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new string trimmer ASAP. I had a Yard Machines 4-cycle string trimmer that lasted 14 years, but needed $90 worth of parts to repair it myself when it broke so I threw it away. Some of the lithium-ion rechargeable trimmers look interesting. But you can buy a lot of gas and oil for what a replacement battery cost. I'm also wondering how many years a lithium-ion battery would last? Would getting 10 plus years out of a battery be realistic?

Injad a battery powered trimmer before yard works from Canadian tire. Battery died after 3 years and it wouldn't hold a charge.

I didn't want to spend $80 on a battery that only fit that trimmer. If I ever buy another battery powered trimmer it would be a ryobi since that battery also fits other tools.

Li-ion would last about 4-5 years before needing to be replaced. Keep the battery inside when it's not in use, and practice good battery maintenance when possible.

I went with a li-ion trimmer recently. Hard to beat the convenience, lack of fumes, and temperamental nature of residential-grade gas trimmers. It was the same price as a cheap gas trimmer that will also likely last 4-5 years and be a temperamental thing the whole time.

Depends on the amount of trimming you'll do. If you have a large yard or areas that get lots of weed eating, gas for sure. Just a small yard that needs light edge trimming? Battery.

I don't like fiddling with gas for anything but my car. The hassle of getting gas for the can, the risk of it spilling in the car or smelling it up to and fro, keeping it on hand, and then stopping to refill..to say nothing of maintenance and reliability issues that go along with gas powered stuff. I'm not a gardener, so whenever I go out there it's a real chore and anything that makes it easier and less of a hassle is a plus for me. How about you?

Unless you have a huge amount of wacking to do on a regular basis, an Li unit is fine, so what that you replace them every 5+ years, my B&D cost $75.

Originally Posted By: Noey
I don't like fiddling with gas for anything but my car. The hassle of getting gas for the can, the risk of it spilling in the car or smelling it up to and fro, keeping it on hand, and then stopping to refill..to say nothing of maintenance and reliability issues that go along with gas powered stuff. I'm not a gardener, so whenever I go out there it's a real chore and anything that makes it easier and less of a hassle is a plus for me. How about you?

Unless you have a huge amount of wacking to do on a regular basis, an Li unit is fine, so what that you replace them every 5+ years, my B&D cost $75.
Sounds like you're good candidate to use Trufuel for $6 a yr.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Injad a battery powered trimmer before yard works from Canadian tire. Battery died after 3 years and it wouldn't hold a charge.

I didn't want to spend $80 on a battery that only fit that trimmer. If I ever buy another battery powered trimmer it would be a ryobi since that battery also fits other tools.
This is what I did and couldn't be happier. Ryobi weed trimmer, blower and drill. I am going to be adding an impact driver soon.
The weed trimmer will run an hour on a full charge. Much longer then I will ever need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I gave up on both and bought an 110 volt unit.
I can also run my Ryobi with an extension cord.

I think if you have less than 20 minutes of trimming a battery unit may suffice. Longer than that and gas is faster.

I just bought the 15" ego trimmer last week and I couldn't be happier. The trigger is variable and for the average yard you never really need full power.

The charger has a fan built in to keep the battery cool during charging which is nice. Sometime later this week I plan on buying the blower to go with it.

I've got a Greenworks battery powered lawn mower,so heck yeah,I'm buying a EGO battery powered trimmer this weekend!

Battery power has never let me down.

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm also wondering how many years a lithium-ion battery would last? Would getting 10 plus years out of a battery be realistic?

My Hoover Lithium powered vacuum batteries last 3 years. At which point the vacuum has low power and only lasts a few minutes. I'm now on my 3rd, $50 (plus shipping and tax) battery.

My Ryobi Lithium batteries have all failed miserably and suddenly after 3 years. Corroded internally.

My 4 year old Dewalt 12V lithium batteries are still working, but at a reduced capacity. They don't see much use.

My 2 year old 20V Dewalt batteries are all still 100% and are used regularly.

My Olight SR90 searchlight's Lithium battery failed after 3 years.

I strongly suspect the quality of the cells is extremely important, as the Ryobi lithium batteries had all corroded weirdly and failed suddenly (dead) . The Hoover cells, while failed via low capacity, don't corrode. None of them can be easily rebuilt due to complexity.

Manufacturers have an incentive to cut costs. Ryobi is king among the "cheap stuff" that works right up until it doesn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back