Car won't star after new serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new to forum, hoping I would get some much needed answers.

The car is a 2004 Acura MDX with 110K miles.

First time driving it yesterday after a month. Car won't start up. Finally after some throttle, the car starts up. Today, the car starts up fine but when I was backing out of the driveway, I noticed the steering is gone and so are the brakes.

I look under the hood and noticed that the serpentine belt snapped. I think it's the original one so not too surprised.

I then went to NAPA and got the right belt, installed it but was not successful when I tried to start the car. There is no crank and all when I turn the ignition. Lights light up but no ignition.

Took the new belt off and tried again to see what the problem was. When I crank it this time, the engine fires right up.

So to summerize, with no serpentine belt, car is fine to start up (not drivable of course but it starts). With the new belt, I don't even get a crank...

Strange! Help?!

The other thing to check is make sure you jiggle the shifter in any no start situation, it might be the ignition lock out mechanism acting up.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The other thing to check is make sure you jiggle the shifter in any no start situation, it might be the ignition lock out mechanism acting up.

Also check that the steering wheel is not in its Locked Position.
If it is, gently moved the steering wheel back-n-forth while turning the Ignition Key.

Originally Posted By: Moutainman31282
Check the ac compressor sounds like it could be locked up and won't let the engine turn over. If it's free check the p/s and alternator

This. Sounds like you have some accessory or tensioner that has seized, which likely resulted in the breaking of the previous belt.

Originally Posted By: Moutainman31282
Check the ac compressor sounds like it could be locked up and won't let the engine turn over. If it's free check the p/s and alternator

This^^^^
Something locked up and caused the belt to break.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Turn the key on, can you still turn the A/C Compressor pulley?

Yes! Perhaps the AC compressor is seized and when the ignition is on, it engages the clutch.

Check the pulleys without the belt on to see if anything has a bad bearing. As mentioned by others check if anything is seized up.

Triple check to make sure you have the correct sized belt.

Ok guys. Might have a lead...

I can spin the AC, PS, Tensioner, and another smaller pulley.

The pulley I can't spin is the CS (normal) and alternator which leads me to think the alternator is bad?

Yes, there ya go, if you can't spin the alt, it has seized
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AlaninPA
Ok guys. Might have a lead...

I can spin the AC, PS, Tensioner, and another smaller pulley.

The pulley I can't spin is the CS (normal) and alternator which leads me to think the alternator is bad?

Bingo! If you can't turn the alternator that's your problem.

+1 Something seized.

That's how I got a spare engine for very very cheap
smile.gif
Previous owner assumed the engine was seized, but it was just the PS pump.

Excellent stuff guys! Saved me some trouble diagnosing he problem at a shop.

Looks like I'll be looking for an alternator soon.

Do you guys recommending getting a refurbished one or a new one? Also is this a job I can do myself?

I guess while I am in there, I might as well look into the AC issue. Freon is topped off but not AC blowing out.

Since the car has been sitting for a while there could just be a little rust in the alternator. Japanese alternators have a very close tolerance between the rotor and stator. Having nothing to lose, put a breaker bar on the shaft nut and try to force it to turn, forward and backward.

DIY alternator replacement is usually straightforward. Unbolt the old, bolt on the new. Be sure to disconnect the battery first since the big output post wire is always live and inadvertently shorting it to ground will blow the car's main fuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back