So I did an oil change but didn't change the filte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short but I changed my vehicles oil while I was out of town at a relatives house. It's a 2014 Toyota Camry four-cylinder, and I use mobile one 15,000 mile full synthetic but I change it to 10,000 miles. Like a bonehead I completely forgot to bring my wrench to change the oil filter housing and there isn't one at the only auto parts store near me for this fancy pants Toyota filter housing. The filter that I always use on this car is the Fram ultra synthetic. The car has 40,000 miles on it. I last changed the oil at 30,000 miles and roughly 90% of my driving is highway driving. So I made the executive decision to just change the oil and leave the filter and I'll change it out with the next oil change at 50,000 miles.

I've never done this before with any vehicle where I only change the fluid and leave the filter so I don't know if what I've done was extremely foolish or not that big of a deal.

As always your feedback is greatly appreciated

Think of it like taking a shower and then jumping back into your dirty underwear.

I'd change that filter, it already has 10k miles on it and now you're planning on going another 10k? You're not going to lose much oil if you change it out, so it's not like you'd be wasting anything. Some people claim that the filter is more important than the oil. Right now your clean oil is running through a dirty filter, if that filter gets clogged, won't it open a bypass valve and just let all the contamination flow right into your engine? I mean I suppose you can risk it and everything will be fine, but all you have to do when you get home is change the filter.

20k filter run ? My fear is if XG filter stays in bypass - you don't filter that Mobil-1.
It can still be changed - you only picked up a small amount of old oil.

Our 2009 Honda recommended changing the filter every other oil change. I never did, but knew that it was just fine if I ran short on time and couldn't get to the filter.

Running a premium filter on an engine that's pretty easy on oil should be just fine for letting it go a second oil change. I'd be more hesitant if it was a bargain-basement filter.

Fram Ultra? No worries it can go 15k without thinking twice.

Also, Shannow posted a study recently which said that leaving your filter on after changing oil has some benefit in filtration.

Put these two together and there is no concern; plus your wrench is waiting for you at home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
20k filter run ? My fear is if XG filter stays in bypass - you don't filter that Mobil-1.

+1 - this. Change the filter when you are home.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: 4WD

+1 - this. Change the filter when you are home.

That will work. No worries.

That is 20k. I don't doubt a dirty filter will filter well - seems they start to work like the DE filters - my pool filters clean well dirty - however at twice the pressure and any higher they collapse. ($400 please). That big "can" has a guage - unfortunately an auto filter normally does not - just a bypass with no read back for the driver to know.
Much on this site is about "peace of mind" having a cost - this is one of those where different folks have an individual comfort zone.

Your 2 years engine has 40 of highway miles. It may be clean, so clogging the filter in 20K isn't probable. That if you regular in syn oil. Keep it going if you will.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Also, Shannow posted a study recently which said that leaving your filter on after changing oil has some benefit in filtration.

Put these two together and there is no concern; plus your wrench is waiting for you at home.

+1

Last edited:
Easy peasy, leave it in. Hwy miles are easy on the engine and oil filter. Plus you have a 15k filter on there already. If a $4 oem filter can handle a 10k run with ease then the Ultra can handle it as well. Plus the filter becomes more efficient as it loads up a bit. I was thinking of doing the same thing an Ultra on purpose. Esp after the stellar UOA I had done on the Camry.

Personally I'd never use a fram filter. But to Andrew your question I would way rather change the filter and not the oil as change the oil and not the filter. I believe you should take a few min and just swap the filter out. Rather than risk the filter collapse and lose oil pressure or worse stop up the oilers with the paper in the filter. Better to be safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yeah, change it (when you get back home) just like you originally planned. The filter was good before the OCI, and will be fine for a short while longer. Do what you planned and keep peace of mind.

Oh no, the world will split in half!

You won't clog it up in 20,000 miles. They're supposed to hold, what, ten grams or more? That's a LOT of crud. A healthy engine won't put out near that much in 20,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back