Any harm in using a Motorcraft FL910S on a Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed one of these on my truck tonight. Normally I'd just use a Performax PO-21 filter we use in our shop (Puro Classic clone) but forgot to grab one on the way home yesterday. So I went to the parts store and got a Motorcraft since it's close to the same thing as what I've been using. I know they're designed for Fords but I can't see it having an issue on a Toyota or am I wrong? The Performax had about 4k miles on it, and I changed it because I plan to run this oil 10k miles. Figured the Motorcraft would be up to the job for this time around. Just wanting to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disaster here.

I will be cutting the Performax open one of these days to see how it looks with 4k miles on it, same thing with the Motorcraft when it's done.

As long as that's a proper cross reference you won't have any issues. I've seen a few members here who have ran Motorcraft filters on Jeeps. My buddy runs Motorcraft oil filters on his 08 Jeep Commander 6cyl & I put a Motorcraft filter on my Generac whole house generator. Nothing to worry about on a Toyota either as long as it's the proper size. I also put a Motorcraft FL-820S on a friend of mine's 08 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304
As long as that's a proper cross reference you won't have any issues. I've seen a few members here who have ran Motorcraft filters on Jeeps. My buddy runs Motorcraft oil filters on his 08 Jeep Commander 6cyl & I put a Motorcraft filter on my Generac whole house generator. Nothing to worry about on a Toyota either as long as it's the proper size.

It is according to the O'Reillys website lookup. And it was the same size as the old filter that came off.

Last edited:
I use the FL 910 on my Focus. Have for years. I also use the 910 on my Briggs 21HP mower.. My son uses the FL 400 on his 07 Dodge Ram V6. Works well for him.

It is very common to run Motorcraft Fl-400S's on Toyota/Lexus vehicles to get a good, widely-available oversize vs. factory filters. You will find this frequently on Toyota truck forums and, as mentioned, among Jeep owners.

I ran a FL-400S on our Lexus until I had an ADBV failure with one this past winter. There were a couple of other cases of this reported recently and one persuasive argument was that it was the seal between the base parts, not the ADBV itself (which could have been true in my case; I could find nothing wrong with mine on dissection). Hopefully this was something unique to a bad batch of Fl-400S and not widespread.

The filter mounting location in most toyota Vs makes the ADBV function or base components' seal critical since they will otherwise drain down quickly.

FL-400S is the longer version of the FL-910S.

jongies3 - what orientation is the filter on the 2004 3.4L V6?

Made by Purolator ? I think the odd one (I use the 910 & 500) is the FL500s with the low bypass pressure. Seems other MC's are close to the competition in valve settings ... I only run 5k on these ...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

On that 5vz I am pretty sure they are about -10 degrees from the horizontal. It was even worse on the successor 4.0L. From what I recall of the one of those I worked on, it was about -45 degrees from the horizontal, though accessible from the top.

Would say no harm, but if the filter points down it defeats the main purpose of the base end bypass setup. Toyota filters even in the next size down probably have more filtering element. For sure the 400s equivalent, the 90915-yzzD3 has more element. I don't know where people get the idea the factory element has less media.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Would say no harm, but if the filter points down it defeats the main purpose of the base end bypass setup. Toyota filters even in the next size down probably have more filtering element. For sure the 400s equivalent, the 90915-yzzD3 has more element. I don't know where people get the idea the factory element has less media.

I don't think anyone thinks the Toyota filters lack media. They are well-known to be very dense. The oversize choice is often for extra capacity, and for greater efficiency - they do not seem to deliver it at the level of the premium filters on the aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I installed one of these on my truck tonight. Normally I'd just use a Performax PO-21 filter we use in our shop (Puro Classic clone) but forgot to grab one on the way home yesterday. So I went to the parts store and got a Motorcraft since it's close to the same thing as what I've been using. I know they're designed for Fords but I can't see it having an issue on a Toyota or am I wrong? The Performax had about 4k miles on it, and I changed it because I plan to run this oil 10k miles. Figured the Motorcraft would be up to the job for this time around. Just wanting to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disaster here.

Do you work for a Lithia dealership, or do you get your stuff from A&I?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

A&I

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

A&I

Good
smile.gif

I've been running MC filters on the 05 Toyota Matrix for years. Forget what model numbers they are. I'd have to check the invoices but for now I think they normally use an 822 but last time I went to the Quick Lane they were out of them. They were going go to the auto parts store but the tech found another one that fit. I think an 836. At least they were being honest with me about it instead of trying to re-use the old one or some other monkey business.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

I don't think anyone thinks the Toyota filters lack media. They are well-known to be very dense. The oversize choice is often for extra capacity, and for greater efficiency - they do not seem to deliver it at the level of the premium filters on the aftermarket.

I thought someone did say people use the MC because they are bigger than the Toyota. The Toyota makes a 400s size, the yzzD3 I believe. It will have more media in it than a 400s. Then there is the base end bypass, which in a pointing down filter, defeats the benefit of not washing settled dirt through the bypass, in that case dome bypass is better.

[/quote]

I thought someone did say people use the MC because they are bigger than the Toyota. The Toyota makes a 400s size, the yzzD3 I believe. It will have more media in it than a 400s. Then there is the base end bypass, which in a pointing down filter, defeats the benefit of not washing settled dirt through the bypass, in that case dome bypass is better.

In the (recent) past, the 400S was MUCH bigger than it is now and the -D3, so that's less of an issue like it used to be; you're right. MC shrunk it just a few years ago so the benefit is less. The other reason was ADBV function, some people complained of rattle w/the OE, and MC cured it. And it may just be anecdotal because probably a lot of people experienced it the other way.
wink.gif
AFAIK, the base-end bypass of the MC filter is going to be effective in the Toyota orientation, too. I don't see a difference there. And availability is also one of the reasons - like the OP, you can get them at a very fair price for their features anywhere instead of a dealership that may be 30 miles away.

I like Toyota filters in most all regards, but I quit using them after I started getting cleaner oil going to a higher-efficiency media (e.g., 99+% @ 20microns) on another car. They Toyota filters just don't deliver that level efficiency yet, and they won't talk about it. The MC has some very, very good Purolator media and is the most efficient filter for the money.

Then there is the base end bypass, which in a pointing down filter, defeats the benefit of not washing settled dirt through the bypass, in that case dome bypass is better.

Oro_O makes it sound like the filter orentation on this engine is slightly base up.

On the 2005+ 4.0L V6 the filter is however mounted vertically with base down.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

On that 5vz I am pretty sure they are about -10 degrees from the horizontal. It was even worse on the successor 4.0L. From what I recall of the one of those I worked on, it was about -45 degrees from the horizontal, though accessible from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back