Mobil 1 5w40 TDT 3 vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, I picked up 9 gallons of this stuff when autozone was closing it out for around $12.00 per gallon. Anyway, I'm wondering which vehicles it can be safely used in. I'm a little bit worried about the phosphorous levels (poss doing . Damage to cat Convt.) the 3 vehicles: 1. 2002 suburban 5.3L flex fuel. 2. 2006 Buick Rainier 4.2L inline 6. 3. 2014 Buick Regal 2.0L Turbo. All 3 call for 5w30 I wanted to combine Mobil 1 0w20 with the tdt 5w40. In equal amounts to get a 30wt oil. Can this blend be safely used in any of the vehicles listed? Thanks

I bought about 10 cases of it a few years back when Strauss Stores was closing. IIRC I paid less than $2 a quart for it. I sold some and sent about 6 cases of it along with my 00 Century to California to my son. We used that oil for about 2 years in the car with no problems at all. In fact he's still using it.

You're not going to have any issues unless you're consuming oil. If it were me, I'd run it in the first two without question, again, assuming oil consumption isn't a problem. In fact, I'd run it straight and forget the blending. With the 2014, I'd be leaning towards following the OEM spec for the time being.

It won't be an issue at all to run it in the '02 Suburban & '06 Rainier. As for the '14 Regal, I'm not sure. I think it would be okay but you may want to stick with an OEM spec'd oil of you have a warranty.

Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
So no harm to the catalytic converter?

No. At the time it had about 125K miles on it [original CC and 02 sensor] and it passed California emissions with flying colors.

Thanks, I'm only doing 5K oci on the Regal turbo. This thing has a weird blurb in the owners manual. I'm paraphrasing but it says: Oil capacity is 5.5 qts with filter however if you plan on autocross or racing the vehicle adding an extra quart is recommended. 6.5 qts apparently is fine.

Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
Thanks, I'm only doing 5K oci on the Regal turbo. This thing has a weird blurb in the owners manual. I'm paraphrasing but it says: Oil capacity is 5.5 qts with filter however if you plan on autocross or racing the vehicle adding an extra quart is recommended. 6.5 qts apparently is fine.

Never heard of that before! Lol Does it read high on the dipstick if you add 6.5 quarts?

The extra quart is to make sure you don't uncover the pickup on a wetsump engine in long high gee sweepers. That can delay drain back from the ouboard head or cylinders as oil stacks up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back