Help finding specific oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched a lot over the internet and atuff but still can't find a 5W40 oil with API SN and Ilsac-GF5. They can only be found in 5W30 and 5W20 etc. In 5W40 I still have yet to find some.

You won't ever find a 5W40 in that flavour.

M1 0W40 used to be bottle as EC in Oz for a little while.

But to be GF-5, they must offer certain fuel economy improvements over a particular reference oil (something 30)..5W40 isn't going to do that.

So which oil do you suggest 5w40 with API SN ? I want mostly wear protection and cleanliness. Btw I dislike Mobil 1. Any but mobile 1. Here it's expensive AF. I'm searching for 5L/50$

Mickxalix;
Down load the Petro-Can 2016 lubrication hand book.
Duron E 5w40 is CJ-4/SM, it was licensed before SN was introduced and may pass SN.
Duron synthetic 5w40 is different from Duron E, a high saps CI-4+ and not for 2007 and newer Diesels with DPFs.
The 1st 30 pages of the handbook educational and explains GF-5 requirement.
I'm not sure if Mobil or Shell offer a 5W40 CJ-4/SN, but I'm quite sure their products are SM.
Castrol Syntech 5w40 might be friction modified, slightly lower viscosity than the CJ-4 products, resulting in a possible 1-2% fuel economy benefit.
Chevron has a couple of 5w40s in their Havoline brand.
Where is Garak when you need him?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: shanneba
Have you seen this one?
http://www.eneos.us/products/eneos-fully-synthetic-motor-oil/eneos-5w-40/

The bottle photo says A3/B4, which is an HTHS over 3.5.

The "blurb" says GF-5, which an A3/B4 oil is never going to attain.

And the linked data sheet IS for GF-5...but only for the 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30...doesn't list the 5W40...it's a mistake.

It has to be either a genuine mistake, or an intentional false claim.....
for it's KV@40*C and KV@100*C is even higher than a typical non-GF5 5W-40 such as Total MC3.
blush.gif

Whats the qpplication for this oil? Canadian Tire and walmart run deals regularly for under 50$ per 5l...does your application require the oil meet the above specs?

Originally Posted By: Mickxalix
So which oil do you suggest 5w40 with API SN ? I want mostly wear protection and cleanliness. Btw I dislike Mobil 1. Any but mobile 1. Here it's expensive AF. I'm searching for 5L/50$

Some Canadian members (Garak?) were reporting they can get Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 from local SOPUS distributor for reasonable price, but I don't know if it's below $10/liter.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I dunno...oil up there is as expensive as poison, like in Oz.

Edge 5w40 ?

Klondike ?

There is synthetic oil always on sale every week. I never buy it at regular price.
We can get any of the big brands for around $32 cdn avg.

So which oil do you suggest 5w40 with API SN ?

Why exactly are you seeking out a 5w-40 SN? If it must be 5w-40 SN, go to NAPA and get an EcoBox of Pennzoil Euro, as that will be almost your only option, aside from an actual Pennzoil-Quaker State distributor, which will, likely, be a bit cheaper yet, but harder to find. The Eneos option might be available at NAPA or Partsource. I'm not sure if Castrol 5w-40 A3/B4 if SN; check Partsource or Canadian Tire, and, of course, be prepared to shell out large dollars unless it's on sale, just like Mobil. If you're looking for an SN oil that has a higher HTHS than an ILSAC 5w-30, and are willing to stay within the 5w-30 grade, I'd go for something like Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 (which is Mobil) from the Imperial Oil distributor or Castrol 5w-30 C3 dexos2. If you can live with an SM oil, use the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, which is also Mobil. However, the Mobil HDEO options are very affordable at Imperial Oil.

Basically, if you're looking for an SN 5w-40 and are not flexible, you might face difficulties for availability and pricing.

Yeah I'm going to see my local NAPA and talk to them.I have a car with insane compression and turbo. Manufacturer says that I need to change oil each 5k km on full syntectic. I gave up Ilsac -gf5 and I'm only going to try and find an oil with API SN and VW 504.00 or 507.00. I want a clean sludge free engine with the most proction. Protection will be from the Mos2 which even aircraft use in their engines because of high temps.

For all weather conditions above -25C which are like tires in Canada, 3-season, there are several 10W40 SN engine oils that meet all of your wishes except GF-5.
And they are cheap in comparison to the 5w40s you are talking about.

Or, for a starting point, look at Duron E 10W40 XL, which will outlast your engine.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going to see my local NAPA and talk to them.I have a car with insane compression and turbo. Manufacturer says that I need to change oil each 5k km on full syntectic. I gave up Ilsac -gf5 and I'm only going to try and find an oil with API SN and VW 504.00 or 507.00. I want a clean sludge free engine with the most proction. Protection will be from the Mos2 which even aircraft use in their engines because of high temps.

What car do you have that the leading 0w40 synthetics on the shelf aren't good enough for?

German Castrol 0w40 is hard to beat.

You are making things exceedingly and unnecessarily complicated for yourself. Now, you want a 5w-40 with SN, and 5,000 km intervals according to manual recommendations. Okay, fair enough. You wish to follow what the manual asks for. Where in your manual does it call for Mos2?

If you want to follow the manual directions to the letter, you have a few options, and the first part is getting rid of the additive, because OEMs don't call for additives. Then, get yourself Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 from NAPA. It won't be cheap, but it will be 5w-40 and in SN. Another option is Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 from Imperial Oil, which is also a synthetic SN, and a heavier 5w-30 than an ordinary ILSAC 5w-30. Neither of those lubes require any additives.

If you don't wish to follow manual instructions, you might as well go with Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4, both of which are great lubes and can be found on special regularly at Walmart, Canadian Tire, Partsource, or NAPA Canada. You'll still save money by avoiding the additives.

If you want to do well and cheap, right now, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 SN/GF-5 is on sale at Walmart for under $30 for a 4.73 L jug. Buy all you can carry.

As for the additive, just because something might be "used" in aircraft doesn't mean it's always used in aircraft, or even a good idea in aircraft, or that such an experience would be transferable to a passenger car. Leaded aviation fuel and a low zinc monograde are common in aircraft. Don't try them in your car.

Just don't like it. It's stupid but that how I feel about that oil. Too overused by many people. I like unique stuff and to support other companies that would like the money. It's stupid i know but it's how I roll.

*This is a reply to the guy who asked me why I dislike Mobil 1.*

Last edited:
My final choice is to go to my local NAPA and tell them I want an API SN oil with either vw 504.00 or C30 oil specifications. I really want it to be 5W40 because I get lifter noise with 5w30 and 5w20-5w30-5w40 is all my options according to my manufacturer . I'll ask for a can of Cera Tec too. Many people have bad oppinions on additives from experience and I have nothing against that. I just trust online reviews on products and not what they advertise what the product can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back