'14 Accord - Honda 0W20 - High vis or lab error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8QK2hPL.jpg

Are the viscosity readings most likely an error by the lab? For this OCI and the one prior (10/24/2015) I ran Honda OW20 syn. This is a direct injection engine so that might explain some of the fuel. The wear metals look OK to me. I did find the drop in moly a little curious.. is it normal for additive levels to vary like this even using the exact same oil?

The oil is sitting in a catch pan with brake fluid and other oil, so no chance of a re-test.

Interesting. At .06cST over, it's just barely out of spec, but I agree it should have been diluted by the high fuel. Is there a VOA of the Honda oil?

If you're sure an 0w-20 was used, I'd bet on lab error. Blackstone relies on human beings watching oil flow through a viscosometer for this measure, which makes error quite possible (same with flashpoint and fuel %, fwiw). If your driving patterns are anything close to those for previous UOAs you would expect considerable shearing.

If you didn't perform the last oil change yourself I suppose the dealer could've used a 5w-30 by mistake. On the bright side, given fuel dilution and how these engines can shear oils, an xxw-30 oil may be a better choice anyway.

Are you still getting free oil changes from the dealer?

Originally Posted By: vvolcano
The dealership we bought it from included 6 free oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Interesting. At .06cST over, it's just barely out of spec, but I agree it should have been diluted by the high fuel. Is there a VOA of the Honda oil?

KV@100*C of xxW30 is 9.3-12.5 cSt.
Appears to me a Blackstone error.. anyway wear rates looks fine.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Danh
If you're sure an 0w-20 was used, I'd bet on lab error. Blackstone relies on human beings watching oil flow through a viscosometer for this measure, which makes error quite possible (same with flashpoint and fuel %, fwiw). If your driving patterns are anything close to those for previous UOAs you would expect considerable shearing.

If you didn't perform the last oil change yourself I suppose the dealer could've used a 5w-30 by mistake. On the bright side, given fuel dilution and how these engines can shear oils, an xxw-30 oil may be a better choice anyway.

Ah thanks for that information-- makes human error seem like the culprit in this case.

I changed the oil myself this time as well as the previous time. Nothing remarkable about this interval.. around 40 miles roundtrip of daily commuting with a couple of regional trips sprinkled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back