Interesting lunch hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all!

Yesterday, a friend of mine wanted to go get some Napa full syn for her next oil changed since it is $2.99 a quart. She just got the car from her parents about 2 months ago. Ironically, on the way to Napa, her oil light came on! We pulled in to Napa and shut off the engine. I pulled the dipstick and it was just touching the tip. 1/2 an inch below the low mark. Her car is a 2011 Subaru Legacy with a 3.6 liter. Takes 6.9 quarts of oil! Her dad had the oil changed at the dealership before she got the car. I figure either the oil change guy wasn't paying attention and only threw in 5 quarts or she is burning oil. I added 2 quarts and it brought it right to the full mark. No drips anywhere and her garage floor is clean (new house.). I'll keep an eye on it. Interesting day!

Last edited:
Oh, also, the Napa synthetic was in two different bottles. I read that Ashland and valvoline split? I wonder who is doing it now?

Last edited:
I would of changed the oil and filter right away. If the dealer only put in 5qts, who knows if they even changed the filter or tightened the drain bolt..

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I would of changed the oil and filter right away. If the dealer only put in 5qts, who knows if they even changed the filter or tightened the drain bolt..

It's speculation at this point, but I'm guessing they used the wrong engine for checking oil capacity.

I agree. We are doing it next weekend.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

It's speculation at this point, but I'm guessing they used the wrong engine for checking oil capacity.

That's exactly what I am thinking. The car has about 46,000 miles on it and she has oil change receipts. Seems the same dealership did the oil change every 5 to 6 thousand miles. Conventional oil. The number of quarts on the invoices says 6. The bad part is, her dad didn't put the receipt for the last change in the glove box. She is calling him to see if he has it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Any pictures and is she pretty?

Yea,less on the car and more on her.....lol

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Oh, also, the Napa synthetic was in two different bottles. I read that Ashland and valvoline split? I wonder who is doing it now?

Yes they did. Automotive stuff went to Valvoline, other chemicals with Ashland.

Speaking of dealer sponsored oil changes, I'm so glad to get away from our Outback's frustrating free changes. The spec is 5.1 qts. The dealer would always put in 6 judging from the distance above the dipstick's full line. I pointed that out and they admitted that it was wrong. Since I started doing the changes myself, 5 qts takes the level right at the full line.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds like they're only putting in 6 ....

Really shouldn't matter how many quarts they put in. When they do the dip stick check shortly after the fill up, it would show being quite low. At that point they'd know they likely under-filled it...and would need to add more.

There is also a lawsuit regarding some engines from Subaru that areally burning oil. I'd research and monitor the vehicle to make sure it's not something more than a potential fill mistake that one time.

To OkieHick (and everyone else): You said "... 5 qts {instead of the specced 5.1 qts.} takes the level right at the full line.
DON'T YOU HATE THAT? I've had 4 Saab 2.3 4 cyl. engines in the family and each said 4 quarts and each took a different amount to reach the FULL mark EXACTLY.

OK, I know it isn't deadly specific (and I'm glad) but 4 examples??? I always write the drain plug size and oil capacity on the header panel with yellow paint marker. The 17mm (for the drain plug wrench) is fairly constant.
NOTE: I do have one Saab drain plug which is metric (12X1.5) thread with a 5/8" hex head (hurray for Dorman)
The 4 (for quarts) is 4.5, 4.75, 4.25. Believe me, I don't write it in paint pen if it isn't THE number. Kira

I put in one quart below spec, spec, and one one quart over (if called for during track use) and then scribe the stick to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back