New Hvac Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was an all day fiasco.
I had a new Hybrid Heat Pump and Oil burner installed.
I got a quality but middle of the road efficiency setup.
Went with the first guy I talked to as he said all the right things and the price was far from cheap but very fair. He was around 60 years old and the owner.
Had very good ratings everywhere too.

I got a great job and it was done right.......
But one thing I didn't like the installer was about 30 years younger than I and he had a helper- younger yet. The helper was a great kid and I'm not a religious zealot but the installer was a f' bomber every other word.

When he showed me the Wi-Fi thermostat it was F this and that and my helper is cool but a "kitty"..... I'm not square but we never would talk to a customer like that. The boss didn't talk like that and he wasn't here either.......

Do you like that kind of interaction when you hire people?

Not especially. There should be some respect and restraint shown by the service person; having been one for several years when you go into a customer's home you should be respectful, not swear, and use proper language; if they start doing it and you've established a rapport, THEN maybe it's ok but in general, no.

Like it, heck no. To me, a little bit of profanity said quietly is acceptable, especially when things aren't going to plan. Using profanity in place of more appropriate language does bug me, and especially around clients. That being said, to my mind some profanity comes with the territory of hiring tradespeople, especially the folks on the ground doing the work.

I'd call up the owner, say you're very satisfied with the system and the installation, that you were uncomfortable with how much profanity his employee used, and that you wanted to let him know so his company's good work isn't overshadowed by his profanity-loving employee.

At least you'll have said your piece. Whether or not anything happens is up to the owner.

As far as I'm concerned the employees, the installer and the helper, represent the company. As such they should be professional in their actions and language not only with the customer but with each other.

Of course there is always a "slip". No problem with that.

The "kitty" talk could end up as a harassment claim if it was pursued.

Last edited:
I just had a new heat pump install on Thurs, and also had a team of electricians in the same day, to do some unrelated work. None of them used profanity. In fact, I can't remember when the last time I heard a tradesman use profanity. Maybe these guys got the message in this area.

When I was doing HVAC installs,ductwork and all that, didnt have time for cussing, just getter done...

I'm about as foul mouthed as anyone you're likely to find, but that is with a chosen audience in a chosen setting. You just can't speak to strangers that way, particularly in their home. May be cool of you to offer a bit of insight/advice to the owner concerning his guys' customer interraction. The young technician may not understand that that kind of conduct can really offend some people.

Limited vocabulary usually from lack of education. Sounds rough around the edges. It seems the rougher types talk like that.

Not the most professional behavior.

But today's work environment you have to accept that behavior or you are biased...
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
But today's work environment you have to accept that behavior or you are biased...
smirk.gif

Seriously? I would have thought that asking someone not to curse because it offends you would be construed as forcing them to be PC. Maybe even taking away their first amendment rights.

Ive done HVAC work for years, that kinda language with a customer that you havent met before and is much older than you is unacceptable and unprofessional.
When i used to do installs me and my partner were in mid 20's, a lot of older customers would doubt us to do the job right just because we looked young, Some of the work was in attics. We had a few customers call the boss which is his 60's and ask him why he isn't there performing the work, his response was because im too old to be in the attic.
Occasionally when i got to supply houses i see some individuals that I wouldnt want anywhere near my house let alone inside.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
I just had a new heat pump install on Thurs, and also had a team of electricians in the same day, to do some unrelated work. None of them used profanity. In fact, I can't remember when the last time I heard a tradesman use profanity. Maybe these guys got the message in this area.

What's so special about your area that they wouldn't use profanity ?

Don't know, just a personal observation.

They might have been taught well by their bosses, or taught well by their parents. This discussion caused me to think back. I just know it has been a long, long time since I have heard a tradesman use profanity within my hearing distance.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Don't know, just a personal observation.

They might have been taught well by their bosses, or taught well by their parents. This discussion caused me to think back. I just know it has been a long, long time since I have heard a tradesman use profanity within my hearing distance.

That's the way it shouild be when you're in another mans house no matter your personal preferences....

I should have said: what is different about your neighborhood ?

I do agree some younger folks can't talk as if they are in a high school locker room.

I live on the western unincorporated edge of KC, where the farmland is becoming suburbs with large lots, but my tradesmen come from other towns, all on the Kansas side. I don't consider anything unique about our situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back