Trouble Installing Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the last oil change on the 2010 Civic I had one heck of time getting the filter threads to start. At first I thought the filter itself (Mobil1) might be bad, so I tried a secong (Fram Tough Guard) and then a third (Purolator Pure One.) The results were all the same - the threads wouldn't start. Eventually I just tried really hard and got the M1 filter to start after about ten minutes of trying.

Roll the film forward a bit: time for a change this weekend. I've purchased a M20 x 1.5 die with the thoughts of cleaning up the threads. Unfortunately it could be that the lead thread is simply gone due to a buggered thread on the prior filter, in which case, this may not help.

Any opinions here? Should I try to run the die over it at risk of not being able to replace the filter, or take it to the dealer to have that nipple replaced? I could also just leave this filter in place for now, at 7000 miles on a 15,000 mile filter, then take it to the dealer later. The OLM is at 5% and there is a 600 mile road trip in the plan next week, so the oil must go. Your thoughts please?

Last edited:
You could probably get the nipple from the dealer and swap it out yourself at the next oil change if you have the right socket/tools.

Echo that, but what if I cannot get it out? Then we are talking about a tow to the dealer and possibly several days out of service. The trip next week would be definitely off.

That being said, should I remove the filter and run the die over that nipple, or leave the filter in place for a repair at a more convenient time? The real question here is whether or not it is worth taking the chance of removing the filter and running the die over that nipple.

Last edited:
Change oil and leave the filter alone for now. That M1 filter can handle 14K miles. Several on this site do two oil changes per filter, anyway.

Decide what to do about the nipple when you have plenty of time to think, research and understand the consequences of your plan, whatever it may be.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Change oil and leave the filter alone for now. That M1 filter can handle 14K miles. Several on this site do two oil changes per filter, anyway.

Decide what to do about the nipple when you have plenty of time to think, research and understand the consequences of your plan, whatever it may be.

Yep ... my thoughts too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy

Yep ... my thoughts too.

I agree with you guys.

It's not just that you don't have it at the right angle, right? My Civic's filter is next to the exhaust manifold and I have to go by feel. Which means I go by burning my fingers and swearing. If the filter isn't at the EXACT angle of the back of the engine tilt, it spins and spins and spins and never "threads." It's a pain, sometimes I get it right away, others I sit angling is all over cussing at it.

Or maybe your threads are actually messed up...?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Has the car ever been serviced at a Jiffy Lube or similar place? They're known to overtighten [censored].

Hope that's not the problem.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I've purchased a M20 x 1.5 die with the thoughts of cleaning up the threads.

Run the die. As long as you use it correctly, you'll be fine. Remember: one step forward, two steps back.

Change the filter there is probably nothing wrong with the treads on the engine.. Be careful dont fix something that is not broken it will cost you.
over 30 years in the engine business and i never had an issues with bad threads unless there was damage from moving or dropping the engine or someone forcing a filter on that don't belong like a madman. Somewtimes the angle can be tricky laying under the car and not used to doing this type of thing.
If you mess it up the stealer will be happy to empty your wallet..Bring it to a qualified engine rebuilding /machine shop.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Has the car ever been serviced at a Jiffy Lube or similar place?

No, at least not in the four years and 40,000 miles we've owned it.

Originally Posted By: Yup
It's not just that you don't have it at the right angle, right?

No, I've changed the oil on this vehicle six times. Something was radically different the last time around.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Change the filter there is probably nothing wrong with the treads on the engine.. Be careful dont fix something that is not broken it will cost you.
over 30 years in the engine business and i never had an issues with bad threads...

Okay, I've never had a problem like this in 40 years of changing my own oil, but can you offer a better explanation of why three different brands of filters would not start to thread easily?

You said you tried really hard for ten minutes and finally got the M1 on. The filter should spin on easily by hand once started. So if it was easy to turn, it's probably OK to use as is. The nipple is pretty stout. If it went on hard for the ten minutes, hopefully you just ruined the filter base. The die also has to start straight. That would be a last resort. Better and more careful would be to first try to get the angle right next time, use no force, and don't use the die. You also could inspect the nipple by eye. If you tried three filters and all didn't fit, either they are the wrong filters or you are turning them on crooked.

The 3.8 found in the early model Jeep JK had an oil filter mount that was just off from being 90* from the engine block. The threads were issue free, but I found myself fussing with it a bit longer than normal. Plus I couldn't see worth a darn..

Perhaps your car has the same issue?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
You said you tried really hard for ten minutes and finally got the M1 on. The filter should spin on easily by hand once started.

Allow me to clarify: it took ten minutes to get it to catch that first thread. After that it spun on normally. It is my theory that the lead -in thread on the nipple is either damaged or worn away.

Actually i can't.. If you were changing oil for 40 years you know what you are doing..
Is there something in the way? Is it possible you are using the wrong filter>?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Is it possible you are using the wrong filter?

Not likely. I tried a Fram TG7317, Mobil1 M1-110, and Purolator PL14610. None of these would start to thread, so I worked at it for a good ten minutes with the M1 and finally that one caught a thread.

In light of where the car needs to go this week and the fact that the OLM was at 5%, I decided to leave the M1 filter in place for now but feed it four quarts of fresh 0w20 M1 EP. The filter will have to get sorted out the next time the car has two consecutive downtime days that aren't also a holiday weekend. The filter is ideally placed on this 1.8 L4 Honda, being towards the front and perfectly vertical with nothing to obstruct the view. I'll take a real close look at those threads next time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back