Your oil changing funnies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not once, but twice when I changed my own oil, left the small pan of oil pushed out of the way just in front of the front tire.

Clean up my rags, tools, closed hood , started engine , oil pressure was good,,,,,,and ,,,,and drove over full pan of old oil only to throw the old oil all over my tire and wheel and so on....was a great day and I did it again later on...lmaof.

PS, I now take it out for those oil changes and that was 6 yrs ago.

Last edited:
My old man changed the oil, then drove to the TAB.

Rang from the pay phone there..."I think I might have run over the oil drain pan. Could you check it, and if I did clean it up".

5 litres of oil and a crushed drain pan.

For reference was front left wheel that crossed the pan.

My first oil change on the cherokee was fun. Drained the old oil out and went to put in the new oil and the oil cap wouldn't come off. Then I broke it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My first oil change on the cherokee was fun. Drained the old oil out and went to put in the new oil and the oil cap wouldn't come off. Then I broke it.

Lots of people have probably made that mistake with differentials, but that's the first I've heard on an engine!

My first oil change on my F350
Piece of cake. Nice warm sunny day, birds singing, gentle spring breeze...... Life was good- Had the oil and filter out, all quality tools. I climbed under and started to drain the oil in my oversized drain pan and then within seconds gale force winds with heavy rain came in and the oil from the oil pan was blowing a mile over the drain pan.......... A fiasco ensued... lol

My first car, one of my first oil changes...tools laid out, whistling, nice day, drained it out, changed filter, up top with 5 new quarts of oil, cap back on, why is the pan overflowing? Ah, it's got 10 quarts in it now since I forgot to put the drain plug in....

Originally Posted By: Kuato
My first car, one of my first oil changes...tools laid out, whistling, nice day, drained it out, changed filter, up top with 5 new quarts of oil, cap back on, why is the pan overflowing? Ah, it's got 10 quarts in it now since I forgot to put the drain plug in....

Now that was funny..............

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My jeep was similar. Opened the oil cap and it was a two part system, just opening the cap, and me not knowing that ahead of time, i broke it and then it would never seat again. Had to buy one from az

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Pure gold. Thank you for that.

My first oil change on a 1976 Mercedes 240D. That particular engine had a cartridge oil filter mounted facing down on the side of the engine. There was a central bolt that held the assembly on the base. The housing extended around the filter to a press fit joint at the base.

Instructions said to torque the bolt to some specific value. Being somewhat familiar with working on MB, I knew the "feel" that they generally wanted when tightening a bolt and omitted using the torque wrench.

Yep. I started the car and backed out of the carport until I saw the huge pool of jet black oil and the trail following the car. The housing wasn't properly seated and was spewing oil.

25 years later I can still see the oil stain in the concrete.

Changed oil in my wife's Mercedes several years ago. Forgot I had some sort of tool in my back pocket. Sat down in front seat and put a nice hole in the leather seat. Oops.

I used a metal filter strap wrench to tighten the new filter and buggered up the paint.

Made me sad.

Then I found out you're supposed to hand-tighten.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
"25 years later I can still see the oil stain in the concrete."

Can you scrape some up and send it to Blackstone???

crackmeup2.gif

Thanks for that!

I cycle back and forth

Make a big mess then decide it's not worth it and take it to quick change. Quick change messes something up then decide to do it myself. I'm in do it myself mode now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back