STP 3614 Purolator cut and view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran this after replacing the head gasket on the turbo car last December. It's one of the Purolator cheese grater filters. No tears ran fine all winter until today. Used a hacksaw, no tears and the adbv held up for 6 mos. First for a Purolator on my car. It's fresh so there is some pooled oil at the bottom.

Last edited:
Last check (2 weeks ago) AZ STP's here are still Champ/(Fram/Rank) made. That is recent stock and no sign at all of Puro made STPs in any application. The STP3614 locally still an ecore.

No tears, no drama here. That's good.

Thanks for pics.

Nice sunny day in Idaho
smile.gif

oh yeah, the filter looks fine as well.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
It's one of the Purolator cheese grater filters.

Good for grating cheese in both directions.
laugh.gif

Filter looks OK. Made Aug 11, 2015.

louvers... Not my favorite although it seems to help the media from not tearing by (in my opinion) slowing down the oil flow.. Im sure that comment will bring some other beliefs..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
louvers... Not my favorite although it seems to help the media from not tearing by (in my opinion) slowing down the oil flow.. Im sure that comment will bring some other beliefs..

Slowing down the oil flow through the louvers would INCREASE stress on the media, not decrease it. Although the whole thing is a moot point anyway.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Slowing down the oil flow through the louvers would INCREASE stress on the media, not decrease it. Although the whole thing is a moot point anyway.

A reduction of flow rate through a fixed opening means the flow rate through that opening has been decreased and 'slowed down'.

What a whole bunch of louvers does is help more evenly distribute the oil flow through the media. That in turn helps reduce concentrated areas of higher flow rate, which helps reduce the stress on the media in those locations.

If there were only two large holes in the center tube, then those two large holes would have to flow all the oil volume and it would also increase the stress on the media at those points because the flow volume per hole would be large. Evenly distributing all the flow through hundreds of smaller holes or louvers eliminates localized stress on the media due to concentrated high flow areas.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
...What a whole bunch of louvers does is help more evenly distribute the oil flow through the media. That in turn helps reduce concentrated areas of higher flow rate, which helps reduce the stress on the media in those locations...

To whom it may concern
56.gif

Regarding louvered center tubes, please refer to this response for what a louvered design actually does.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

A reduction of flow rate through a fixed opening means the flow rate through that opening has been decreased and 'slowed down'.

What a whole bunch of louvers does is help more evenly distribute the oil flow through the media. That in turn helps reduce concentrated areas of higher flow rate, which helps reduce the stress on the media in those locations.

If there were only two large holes in the center tube, then those two large holes would have to flow all the oil volume and it would also increase the stress on the media at those points because the flow volume per hole would be large. Evenly distributing all the flow through hundreds of smaller holes or louvers eliminates localized stress on the media due to concentrated high flow areas.

Louvers are fine if they are open and clean edged. They are becoming the prevalent type. The placement and number of holes though, within reason, doesn't change the stress on the media much if any, IMO. The oil flows through the media, through the valleys between pleats, and out the holes mainly. Some flows through the points of the pleats based on area. Witness Fram Ultra skimpy hole spacing. Plenty of solid tube on Frams. The Toyota longer filter OI installed recently has about the bottom 1/4 of the center tube with no holes. Oil flows up the valleys to the holes and out. As long as the area of the holes is greater than the inlet holes and there are holes near valleys it shouldn't matter.

I understand what you are saying Z06 but crazy is saying the louvers impede flow which I don't believe to be true. But if it were it would create a higher average variance of pressure up to bypass and would likely increase stress on the media.

Like I said though it's a moot point as I don't believe the louvers have any negative effect anyway.

goodtimes - I agree within reason. Envision how the oil 'flow field' would look without any media at all. That same basic flow field will still be there when the media is present. So if there are areas where the flow is higher/faster based on hole/slit size and placement, then the flow through the media in that area will also be higher/faster. As the number and even placement of those holes/slits increase, then the flow field is more evenly distributed over the entire area of the center tube.

Granted, there will still be some flow going through the media 'dead zones' (areas away from holes) like you described above, but depending on the design of the center tube there will still be some areas of the media that has a bit higher flow and stress than other areas. My extreme example of just two larger holes placed opposite of each on the center tube tried to show that scenario. Even with just two large holes, there would still be some much lower flow through other parts of the media away from those holes. The wide open eCore center tube would have the best flow distribution above all other designs.

I don't think there was really any problem with the center tubes with a lot of small holes. I think the manufacturers are switching over to louvers mainly for ease and manufacturing and maybe it costs less to do lovers over holes.

I understand what you are saying Z06 but crazy is saying the louvers impede flow which I don't believe to be true. But if it were it would create a higher average variance of pressure up to bypass and would likely increase stress on the media.

Not sure if he actually said louvers impede the flow ... I thought he was saying it 'slows down' the flow, which is basically true at each localized slit if there are many and they are distributed well around the center tube. A positive displacement oil pump will force the same oil volume through, but if the center tube is choked down for some reason (ie, bad slit forming during manufacturing), then yes there would be more delta-p across the filter.

Like I said though it's a moot point as I don't believe the louvers have any negative effect anyway.

Only if they are not formed well and not opened up much, which ties back to your comment above about higher delta-p. I've seen some louvered center tubes that have barely open slits, and don't think I'd feel comfortable running one like that. If the flow area of the center tube is extremely choked off, the delta-p will shoot up and the bypass valve could open up way before it really should.

I wouldn't run that cheap filter more than 20 miles. I'm surprised your engine didn't blow up *patiently waits*

Filter looks fine. More ammo for the "expensive filters are a waste if you're using your car in a regular fashion."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back