Kia P0138 Code From Old Amsoil Stabilizer ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used about 1 or 2 ozs. of older (maybe from 2001) Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer in my sons '13 Kia Optima that had a little more than 1/2 a tank of gas and the next day it got a code P0138, do you think it could have caused it? One thing that I noticed was that it does NOT say O2 sensor safe on the bottle. The car only has 32k on it...

P0138 Kia Description
The Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 (HO2S) (Rear O2 Sensor), after three way catalyst (manifold), monitors the oxygen level in the exhaust gas on each bank. For optimum catalyst operation, the air fuel mixture (air-fuel ratio) must be maintained near the ideal stoichiometric ratio. The HO2S output voltage changes suddenly in the vicinity of the stoichiometric ratio. The Engine Control Module (ECM) adjusts the fuel injection time so that the air-fuel ratio is nearly stoichiometric. The HO2S generates a voltage between 0.1 and 0.9 V in response to oxygen in the exhaust gas. If the oxygen in the exhaust gas increases, the air-fuel ratio becomes Lean. The ECM interprets Lean when the HO2S voltage is below 0.45 V. If the oxygen in the exhaust gas decreases, the air-fuel ratio becomes Rich. The ECM interprets Rich when the HO2S voltage is above 0.45 V.

Stabilizing fuel that is going to get rapidly used up? Snake oil salesmen can sell anything...

Originally Posted By: Eddie
To answer your question. NO 1 or 2 oz in ~ 6 gallon would not cause any problems at that ratio.

Probably less stabilizer and more gas than that but that's what I thought too. I'm too cheap to throw the stuff out, I put some in my GMC truck, lawn mower, Audi A4 and my gas cans. Never had any problems before. I bought a case at a Snowmobile show years ago, used it back then too with no problems. Anything's possible though...

To answer your question. NO 1 or 2 oz in ~ 6 gallon would not cause any problems at that ratio.

thumbsup2.gif

If the fuel stabilizer was stored capped, I cannot see the fuel stabilizer causing this situation.

I think you have a true coincidence here.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

thumbsup2.gif

If the fuel stabilizer was stored capped, I cannot see the fuel stabilizer causing this situation.
I think you have a true coincidence here.

Probably but not to my son with such low mileage on the car...I know that some chemicals degrade after time into other compounds, I've called before about other additives and they tell you to throw them out and not to use them. Whatever, from now on the old stuff goes into the mower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back