Full brand oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this Full brand oil filter is now sold at Napa through Altrom for some applications. The parent company is Siam Filter in Thailand I believe. It looks like an OEM Nissan filter. Here is our conversation and what the company had to say about their version of the Nissan filter:

My question: I am interested in an oil filter for my 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5L engine. The Full filter part number is 2ONS002. Can you tell me what the filter efficiency rating percentage is at 20 microns? Also, is the filter media cellulose, synthetic, or a combination of both? Any information would be helpful.

Their response: "Our 2-ONS002 is a long life oil filter which was designed to have similar filtration efficiency as the oem filter. Most Japanese passenger cars will have moderate filtration efficiency but rather long oil change interval. The average filtration efficiency (defined by multi pass test method) at 20 micron of our filter is approx 50%. The multi pass test method is the standard evaluation method used in filtration industry to evaluate the efficiency of filter media at each particular particle sizes. However, the general market would use the term "nominal micron" which has a slightly different definition. In such term, our filter and most Japanese oem filters would have the 20 micron efficiency (nominal) at about 90%.

For more technical understanding of the term "micron rating", please read this attached literature. I hope it is not too detailed for you. https://a.gfx.ms//pdf_57.png

With regards to your question about the media, our long life oil filter media is a blend of cellulose fiber + high percentage of synthetic fibers + thermosetting resins.

We do also produce oil filters with higher filtration efficiency exceeding the standard oem requirements. However, higher efficiency comes with higher pressure drop. So, we designed such high efficiency product to be used only for synthetic oil which has lower viscosity.

If you are interested in the high efficiency version of the oil filter, we will keep you informed. We expect this version of filters to be available in USA through the stores sometime in the near future."

They are much more forthcoming with their information than either Gohner or Nissan about anything concerning their filters.

Is this 90% at 20 microns comparable to how Fram comes up with their 95% or 99% at 20 microns? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Not that this answers your question in the least, but if you're filter shopping at NAPA and are concerned/curious about filter efficiency ratings, just get a Gold and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: RRLJR
.. Their response: "Our 2-ONS002 is a long life oil filter which was designed to have similar filtration efficiency as the oem filter. Most Japanese passenger cars will have moderate filtration efficiency but rather long oil change interval. The average filtration efficiency (defined by multi pass test method) at 20 micron of our filter is approx 50%. The multi pass test method is the standard evaluation method used in filtration industry to evaluate the efficiency of filter media at each particular particle sizes. However, the general market would use the term "nominal micron" which has a slightly different definition. In such term, our filter and most Japanese oem filters would have the 20 micron efficiency (nominal) at about 90%.....

This would be the most important part of the reply imo. The ISO 4548-12 is a multi pass test and the current standard for filter efficiency. So basically they are saying the Full filter is ~50%@20um, which based on the Amsoil ISO results of a couple Japanese oems would be in the ball park.

As for a nominal rating, a vague term generally taken to mean at 50%, and not used as an authoritative spec for filter efficiency.

So to answer "Is this 90% at 20 microns comparable to how Fram comes up with their 95% or 99% at 20 microns?" The answer is no.

If this Full brand filter is the right price, you should be satisfied with it. I used the brand in two Acura RL's and two Isuzu Troopers that I had over 10 years ago. Never a problem. They were always about a buck cheaper than other Asian brands.

But my impression is the products sold by NAPA under the Altrom label do not have great pricing.

The company can take the credit for its written response to you. A little better than the average Purolator response, eh?

Some of the responders opinions were a little off. Suppose you contact Fram and they email back saying most American filters are designed along X Y Z specs, and ours is just like that too. Some of the opinion might be facts in the response, but I somehow doubt they are even doing the expensive multi pass test. Otherwise if they knew the data, they would say the Full filter is xx @ xx% efficiency, period, no beating around bushes.

Then there is the statement synthetic oil has lower viscosity so we can make higher efficiency filters for it. Also higher efficiency filters have higher pressure drop. Not quite right.

Originally Posted By: RRLJR
My question: I am interested in an oil filter for my 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5L engine. The Full filter part number is 2ONS002. Can you tell me what the filter efficiency rating percentage is at 20 microns? Also, is the filter media cellulose, synthetic, or a combination of both? Any information would be helpful.

Their response: "Our 2-ONS002 is a long life oil filter which was designed to have similar filtration efficiency as the oem filter. Most Japanese passenger cars will have moderate filtration efficiency but rather long oil change interval. The average filtration efficiency (defined by multi pass test method) at 20 micron of our filter is approx 50%. The multi pass test method is the standard evaluation method used in filtration industry to evaluate the efficiency of filter media at each particular particle sizes. However, the general market would use the term "nominal micron" which has a slightly different definition. In such term, our filter and most Japanese oem filters would have the 20 micron efficiency (nominal) at about 90%.

How I read this is the filter you specifically asked about is rated at 50% efficiency at 20 microns.

Then they try to explain "nominal micron" saying it has a 'different definition', and saying thier filter has a "nominal" efficiency of 90% @ 20 microns. Doesn't seem to make sense. I don't think they are using the term "nominal" efficiency correctly, but there are a number of definitions of the term it seems.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1289/oil-filter-efficiency

http://www.lenntech.com/library/fine/absolute/absolute-nominal-filters.htm

If you search around the internet, you will see various definitions of what "nominal" efficiency means. Here are a couple of those instances.

Filter Ratings:
Filter Rating Filters are rated in several ways—absolute, mean, and nominal. The absolute filtration rating is the diameter in microns of the largest spherical particle that will pass through the filter under a certain test condition. This rating is an indication of the largest opening in the filter element. The mean filtration rating is the measurement of the average size of the openings in the filter element. The nominal filtration rating is usually interpreted to mean the size of the smallest particles of which 90 percent will be trapped in the filter at each pass through the filter.

Nominal vs. Absolute Filtration:
A filter is considered nominally efficient at a certain micron level if it can remove 50 percent of particles that size. In other words, a filter that will consistently remove 50% of particles 20 microns or larger is nominally efficient at 20 microns.

A filter is considered to achieve absolute filtration efficiency at a certain micron level if it can remove 98.7% of particles that size. So, if a filter can remove 98.7% of particles 20 microns or larger, it achieves absolute efficiency at that micron level.

One thing for sure, the current standard ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating is an multi pass test and NOT a nominal rating. Further the Fram published efficiency rating queried quotes/publishes/uses that specific ISO test.

I posted a question regarding the difference between absolute and nominal rating some time ago posted HERE. One can see with the responses from some respected members a nominal rating is a vague one and not the current standard for efficiency.

And Cummins filtration says "Nominal micron rating is just a commercial trick for all efficiencies lower than 98.6%, meaning that for the same micron rating (for ex. 10 µ) in the case of nominal rating, not all particles will be captured in the filter as in the case of absolute micron rating." http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/faq

Using inference and deductive reasoning "the multi pass test method is the standard evaluation method" noted by Full initially would be the ISO 4548-12. Then they say using that standard, "at 20 micron of our filter is approx 50%."

All those things considered, I'll stand by the answer to the OPs question. Using their words the "nominal" 90@20um Full mentioned last, it is NOT the same as the Fram ISO efficiency standard published box rating.

I still think the email responder was guessing. They are deducing, since they believe OE are 50%, and the Full meets OE, therefore Full is 50%. Otherwise why not just say we test the Full and it is 50%, no need to compare to the rest of Japan. Here is a link to our test information I told you, they could say. The info about nominal rating link doesn't work for me. I would take with a grain of salt statements from someone on the phone or even by email unless the person's expertise is known better. Contrast that to Jay, who qualifies his statements with his job title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back