Finally saved up and bought my 1st car

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 civic ex with 133k , junior in HS...Paid $2500

Did i pay too much?

20160205_163319_1.jpg

It had the timing belt replaced in 2013 at 102K, other than that i don't know much about the maintenance history.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Hopefully you got the manual transmission because 2001/2002 were failure prone years for some AT civic

That was nmy next question. If it's an automatic I would suggest a drain and fill of the tranny fluid.

My wife's got a 97 civic and its been bullet proof.

Hopefully you got the manual transmission because 2001/2002 were failure prone years for some AT civic

Auto, hopefully it will last for the 1st few yrs of college.

Originally Posted By: JC1

That was nmy next question. If it's an automatic I would suggest a drain and fill of the tranny fluid.

My wife's got a 97 civic and its been bullet proof.

What fluid did you use, does it have to be Honda?

Another thing i forgot to ask, There's 1 wheel stud missing on front passenger tire (you can see it in the pic), is it ok to drive like that.

Originally Posted By: rocky8314
Another thing i forgot to ask, There's 1 wheel stud missing on front passenger tire (you can see it in the pic), is it ok to drive like that.

No. Get it replaced asap. Replacing studs is well within the abilities of most DIY'rs. Tap the old one out, push the new one in from behind, use the lug nut to pull it the rest of the way in.

As mentioned this model year was among those with less than stellar automatic transmissions, on the other hand my friend had one be bought new and with LOTS of abuse and no maintenance, his trans went over 200,000 miles before failing. I did a bit of the maintenance on this car for him and overall it was a pretty nice car.

Change the fluid a few times and dont beat on it and you will probably be fine. Looks nice. I'd get that lug replaced.

I wouldn't drive like that for too long. Buy a replacement.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I wouldn't drive like that for too long. Buy a replacement.

+1 Besides that it looks like you got a nice vehicle. Enjoy it!

Most important factor that's been missed so far.

Congratulations on purchasing a car for yourself at your age. Huge accomplishment that will teach you to respect the value of money.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Most important factor that's been missed so far.

Congratulations on purchasing a car for yourself at your age. Huge accomplishment that will teach you to respect the value of money.

Agreed. Very commendable. And certainly much nicer than my first car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back