Cruise control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily. Whenever I can. Interstates, rural highways, anywhere with a good stretch of road.

On my way to work, I can generally use it from the moment I get on the highway until I reach just inside the city beltway (approx 35 miles).

On my way home from work, I generally cannot use it until I am outside of the city beltway.

Living around Chicago, rarely. Not until I get past the exurbs, or until I'm well into Wisconsin or Indiana.

Only if I'm on the highway for an extended time. Cruise control doesn't seem well suited to cars that like hard acceleration.

Almost never. Too inefficient (shift-happy) for my tastes.

The only time I use it is when I'm traveling long distances on flat road. It's not very flat around here.

Rarely in daily driving since there are clusters of traffic that ruin it. Definitely on long trips, though.

I use it pretty much daily, I just set it to a couple km/h below the unofficial speed limit if I don't feel like saving gas and want to minimize my drive time.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How often do you use cruise control? And when?

Open highway, dry weather.

Always, I live 100ft from a rural highway and work 100ft from said highway 17 miles down the road with no hills. Last time I turned it off I past a CHP going 85mph. I explained how I had turned it off at a slow down and my truck crept up to 85 before I knew it. He gave me a warning and we talked rifles for a bit after he saw my Weatherby sticker on my back window.

I use it often in the company Prius. It works well in that car because it does not have a CVT and never shifts gears. The ICE and the electric motor work well together with the planetary gear box. Playing the game of trying to bump the Prius into stealth mode can keep you entertained on long trips.

Every time I go down and back to San Diego. Set CC at 78-79 MPH and stayed on number 3 or 4 lane most of the times.

Got passed by CHP's late night by up to 10-20 MPH may times. They were looking for real speeders, the ones excess speed limit by 20-25 MPH or more.

Used to use it more, look forward to using again. Can be nice on the highway to just set it to the legal speed and sit back. But I don't use it in my truck as it makes the automatic hunt.

Almost never with the traffic here. The standard is to follow as much as you can with variable speed (60-90mph). Unless it is laser / radar cruise control it is pretty useless.

The Volvo is the 2nd car I've had with cruise control, 8 years since the last car with it. I only use it on a trip to Auckland, it's abouut the only road suitable to use CC. I set it at 4kph over the limit, that's the threshold for holiday traffic, 10kph in normal times. 4kph is good, just enough to pick off the slow traffic.

Everyday. Wouldn't buy a car without it. Radar cruise in the Outlander is awesome. And, having ridden a few motorcycles with factory fitted cruise lately, I want my next bike to have it too!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How often do you use cruise control? And when?

whenever possible. but it takes some experience to use it effectively in busy traffic (if not adaptive). You'll get boxed in if you're not careful, requiring intervention by either brakes or throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back