2016 Camaro SS 5W-30 vs 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,
We already covered on a different thread GM's Track requirement to use Dexos2 / 5W-40 engine oil in the 6.2L 2016 Camaro SS due to to elevated oil temps on the Track (above 270F).
My question is: do I need to worry about daily driving with Dexos2 during "track season" (April-Nov)?
Thanks for your help

You can daily drive with dexos2 with no problems
smile.gif

If you're lucky, you can even find Synpower MST 5w30 which is dexos2.

Too bad you couldn't run an ACEA A3,B4 30 grade with higher HTHS than allowed by ILSAC and DEXOS. Oh well, thin 40s are more prevalent and prob not much higher KV100.

Thank you all for your help!
One last question please: should I use the same manufactures filter as the oil I'm using or it does not matter?

Originally Posted By: mbar1
Thank you all for your help!
One last question please: should I use the same manufactures filter as the oil I'm using or it does not matter?

NO!

I wonder why would you think this,My question is: do I need to worry about daily driving with Dexos2 during "track season" (April-Nov)?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I wonder why would you think this,My question is: do I need to worry about daily driving with Dexos2 during "track season" (April-Nov)?

I was worried, since stock/recommended oil for the Camaro is Dexos1 5W30 not Dexos2 5W40 (which is recommended for track application).

No problem. You may experience a slight loss in fuel economy, but you'd have to have a really sharp pencil to plot the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back